SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-06-12, 11:30 AM   #1
Sizzle Media

Default Suspension upgrade suggestions - Curvy?

Hi

I've just put my Curvy through its first MOT under my ownership, my intention was to trade it in for a newer bike but whatever the garage did, the mechanic seems to have transformed the bike. It feels fresher and am now considering keeping it. Its a mechancially sound bike, plently fast enough for me and still looks good. I'm thinking I should just invest some money in some upgrades and stick with it for a few years. Apart from basic cosmetic changes like a belly pan, single seat cowl and puig screen its a standard naked with braided lines.

The majority of reviews i've read about early model SV upgrades suggest the money is best spent on suspension upgrades (although I did have it changed to better oil last year). Can anyone suggest some must have upgrades that will bring the bike up to scratch in regards to ride quality, exhaust, looks. I prefer the twisties.

I am a bit of sucker for eye candy being a web designer and love the larger wheels on suprt sports bikes and was wondering if the SV wheel can be swapped out for something wider without effecting clearance, handling. I also love high level exhausts but have struggled to find a set up for a curvy.

Any pointers would be appreciated
Old 28-06-12, 01:00 PM   #2
Mega Poster

Default Re: Suspension Upgrade Suggestions

You can get high level extender pipes from here

http://www.banditmaniashop.co.uk/sv6...ipe-1664-p.asp

Changing wheels on bikes (in my limited experience) seems more effort than it's worth, why not try going for a bigger colour? Certain colours can work together to make something appear larger as that you're no doubt aware. If the bike's black..white wheels will look larger...and so on.

Suspension wise, my much more experienced work mate got progressive springs put in up front, changed the fork oil for something a fair bit better and got the rear shock swapped out for one that cost just shy of £300...the name eludes my forgetful mind right now though!

Exhaust, Beowulf all day long, I literally can't get over how good mine sounds haha!

Ride quality...some top not tyres, improved disc and pads and making sure those shocks you're gonna splash some cash on are set up to your weight...should help a treat.

Could always go down the fuel commander route for a bit more pick up and go, but unsure on how effective these are on v-twins, only ever encountered them on in line fours.

I'll find out the name of the suspension my mate's got and post back soon.
650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-12, 01:00 PM   #3
Mega Poster

You can get high level extender pipes from here

http://www.banditmaniashop.co.uk/sv6...ipe-1664-p.asp

Changing wheels on bikes (in my limited experience) seems more effort than it's worth, why not try going for a bigger colour? Certain colours can work together to make something appear larger as that you're no doubt aware. If the bike's black..white wheels will look larger...and so on.

Suspension wise, my much more experienced work mate got progressive springs put in up front, changed the fork oil for something a fair bit better and got the rear shock swapped out for one that cost just shy of £300...the name eludes my forgetful mind right now though!

Exhaust, Beowulf all day long, I literally can't get over how good mine sounds haha!

Ride quality...some top not tyres, improved disc and pads and making sure those shocks you're gonna splash some cash on are set up to your weight...should help a treat.

Could always go down the fuel commander route for a bit more pick up and go, but unsure on how effective these are on v-twins, only ever encountered them on in line fours.

I'll find out the name of the suspension my mate's got and post back soon.
Old 28-06-12, 01:49 PM   #4
MJC-DEV

Linear springs with cartridge emulators transforms the handling and are much preferred over progressive springs. Those that know these things say avoid progressives.
Old 28-06-12, 02:37 PM   #5
dkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC-DEV View Post
Linear springs with cartridge emulators transforms the handling
+1
Just had k tech linear springs, fresh oil and debrix emulators fitted by the orgs very own yorkie Chris. Has transformed the bike along with the zx10r shock I put in at the same time.
Tbh there's loads of threads on here on this subject. Do a quick search and it'll throw up plenty of stuff for you to read and you'll be a lot more clued up once you've spent some time going through it all.
Old 28-06-12, 02:49 PM   #6
Mega Poster

I assume Yorkie chris is a Yorkshire lad? I could do with my front shocks sorting out, bit spongey...not dead bad though!
Old 28-06-12, 06:07 PM   #7
dkid

He offers a service where you post your forks to him and he'll carry out the work and send them back. Very reasonable price and turn around time on mine was less than a week.
I was really pleased with what he did for me and will happily recommend him to anyone (as will many others on the org)
Old 28-06-12, 06:30 PM   #8
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
I assume Yorkie chris is a Yorkshire lad? I could do with my front shocks sorting out, bit spongey...not dead bad though!
He's from scotland.

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-12, 06:39 PM   #9
Mega Poster

Ah ok cool, might send him a message then
Old 28-06-12, 06:42 PM   #10
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

lol only kidding he's based near halifax and does maintenance/mechanical jobs on bikes and alsorts of stuff - would probably travel to manchester for the work if it's something he can do (he's worked on mine and lots of other org'ers bikes in the past - definitely recommend him A+). He actually did the suspension on my 650 back in January 2009..

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote