SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-07-12, 11:05 AM   #1
Elliott

Default Best set-up front/rear ride height?

Right how am i best to set the bike up?

I have the options:

Jackup kit 25mm (or 35mm cant remember)
Drop forks 5-10-15-20mm

So best for tight corners (I like a quick drop in) without being dangerous.

Cheers guys.
Old 27-07-12, 12:08 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Best angle set-up?

This is a personal preference thing.

The right thing to do is get a shock with adjustable length so you are only adjusting the geometry, not the function of the suspension (which you are with dog-bones).

Before raising the forks through the yokes, make sure you have measured how much travel will be used on full compression. From memory there's about 10mm available before the dust seals will start hitting the bottom yoke. And that doesn't include the thickness of the cable-tie I usually keep on there to gauge travel.

So raise the forks (drop the yokes) ~5mm and see how you get on.

Jambo
Old 27-07-12, 12:15 PM   #3
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Does lengths of dog bones affect the function of suspension? I didn't think they did.

Jambo makes some good points though. If you are on stock suspension and weigh more than a nats knacker then you may find you can't get enough of a drop through the yokes than you need.
As far as I was aware dog bones didn't affect the function of suspension but am happy to be proved wrong.

Have you done any suspension mods already?
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-12, 12:23 PM   #4
Elliott

I have actually crashed my k4 this is for my K3 that i have bought.

The K4 had
35or25mm :S at the rear
15mm at the front

I was set for when I was at 3 sisters and the handling was epic however I forgot to change back and a week or so later I went for a good ride out. First bit of power on a straight road and..... tankslapper 300yards later the bikes had it. (and me tbh)

Hence why im scared to touch a thing now!

Now I've bought this bike as it was a bargain and I have no intention of riding it for a while so im happy to do some work, obv I can add zx10r shock or similar but I just wanted to see if there was a safe way to get the result I had without the instability.
Old 27-07-12, 12:30 PM   #5
monkey

Now this is really pushing the envelope, blue sky thinking and moving forward:

Have you considered leaving it as Suzuki meant it to be?
Old 27-07-12, 12:39 PM   #6
Elliott

Personal preference, I don't like the very slow turn-in.

I was asking if anyone else had experiment successfully.
Old 27-07-12, 01:05 PM   #7
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Best set-up front/rear ride height?

I rather like the geometry as it is, it feels stable. This is why it's such a personal thing.

By your own admission, the last setup was too unstable. The current one isn't quite what you're after. So change one thing at a time, and change it by small increments. If you go dropping the yokes, changing the shock, altering the dog-bones, and then decide you're not happy, it's going to be pretty tricky to unravel what part of the setup isn't right for you.

As I said, I think the front forks cannot be brought through the yokes by more than about 10mm (which is quite a lot) without getting into clearance issues. Fitting stiffer springs will not solve this as the best suspension setup you can have allows you to use all the suspension travel but not run out.

Fitting different dog bones alters the position of the rising-rate linkage. This will affect the way the shock works. Enough to bother you? Well that's subjective, but it's definitely making a change in a way that's not ideal.

If you are looking at purchasing a rear shock anyway, I believe the Nitron sport shocks are height adjustable.

Jambo
Old 27-07-12, 01:11 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

i've got a better idea. get drop in cartridges and springs to suit your weight from Y_C (this will drop the front 10-15mm) then get a good rear shock. having properly set up suspension will be miles better than supposedly pizzing with geometry. as far as i'm aware dropping the front and raising the rear only gives you a larger contact patch on your front tyre due to more weight being transferred to the front, sounds good in theory but this also makes the rear go light as it tops the shock out easier.

you have already paid the price do you really want to do it again...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-12, 01:18 PM   #9
Elliott

I currently have ktec 8.5 springs just need a zzr14 rear then I'm done on that front. So the general is don't bother? I don't mind its less work!
Old 27-07-12, 04:14 PM   #10
speedyandypandy

Have you got your sag sorted, thats suspension school lesson #1 ?