SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Gloves Post your own reviews on Gloves here

Old 06-08-12, 11:32 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Rukka Apollo Gloves Review

I noticed embee was selling these in the for sale section. I have wanted a pair of these gloves for ages but just could not justify the RRP in case they were just like all the other brands of gloves that say they are waterproof so when they came up for sale at the price I jumped at the chance. They arrived well packaged from embee and were as described e.g. brand new.

Fitting, like all modern gloves they seem to be way off the mark for sizing. These gloves are sized as 11’s but I would put them as 9.5’s and in old money I would say a medium bordering on large in fact they are about the same as my Exo2 heated gloves which are a medium but the Apollo’s have long fingers which is perfect for me so try before you buy. A small word on glove fitting, to tight a glove can cause numbness and pins’n’needles if the tips of your fingers have got constant pressure on them.

Feel & Construction, I would say the feel is between a summer and winter glove and I think they would get a bit sweaty in really hot days. The lining is stitched in and doesn’t come out when you take your hands out which is nice. With having the Rukka label on them you would expect them to be of high quality and construction, well I’m pleased to say that they are fantastic with no loose threads or miss-stitching anywhere. The leather is soft and supple but thick due to it being a bonded leather and Goretex construction and should last. There are knuckle protectors which have been bonded underneath the leather along with small pads on the fingers except for the index finger which has a rubber ‘plate’ stitched on the top the smaller pads are bonded under the leather all of which have been covered with padding inside the glove there is also a scaphoid carbon pad that is in the correct place and does not interfere with the grip on the bars. The wrist strap is plenty long enough and in the correct place which is not above the thumb but on the wrist. The cuff is nice and long, not to bulky with a good opening that can be adjusted using the leather covered Velcro flap and should satisfy both over and under jacket brigade.

Detailing, there are reflective bars on all the fingers (excluding the thumb) this also includes the rubber Rukka logo on the index fingers along with a stripe along the opening on the top of the glove above the knuckle guard, this opening is a pocket that has expanding material which is leather at the top and fabric (I assume Goretex) on the inside which goes all the way to just above the fingers. I personally don’t like these pockets as they are a potential water trap and would instead like to have seen expanders at the tops of the fingers and above the knuckle guards. There is a visor wipe on the left thumb and is about as much use as a chocolate fire poker so again I would like to see Rukka remove this and instead put one all the way along the index finger or leave it off altogether or make it a decent size to be of use.

Waterproofing, after a 300 mile ride in mixed weather ranging from warm sunny to monsoon type rain I can confirm that for once the advertising is true. These gloves are indeed waterproof. While out on the maiden voyage ride of these gloves I got caught in some horrendous downpours that lasted around 30-40 minuets each but the gloves stayed dry as a bone and the only time they got damp was when I put wet hands back in them after stopping.

Now that I own a pair would I have paid the full £169.99 RRP for these? At the moment I can say hand on heart that I would and as long as they stay waterproof and in one piece for a few seasons then I would say they are worth every penny. I’ll update this review after a few thousand miles to see just how they cope with our British weather.

embee sent me a PM saying that he got a larger pair from HERE for the princely sum of £106 delivered at the current exchange rate.

http://www.rukka.com/mxl-fashion/ruk...cument&Cat=2_1

Lance
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-12, 09:15 AM   #2
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rukka Apollo Gloves Review

£116.92 - from - FC-Moto.de ?
Old 21-08-12, 02:17 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

it's about 1k miles i have done with these gloves now. they have stayed completely waterproof. sunday 18-08-12 was in rain for about 4hrs and 150odd miles and not a drop of water leaked in and the only time they got damp was me putting wet hands in after stopping in a lay-by for a break. they are breaking in just nicely but still a bit stiff on the fingers. one thing i have noticed and like most waterproof gloves is that the fingers feel a little 'jelly' when using the leavers.
Old 16-07-13, 11:42 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

6k miles update. well what can i say, only that these gloves are amazing. not one bit of water has got threw to my hands and i have ridden in some horrendous rain in the year that i have had them. yes they get a bit sweaty in the blistering heat but as the lining is bonded to the leather/gortex it stays in the glove when you take your hands out. i don't look after my bike gear and they still look good if a bit faded on the cuffs. no signs of wear or stitching coming apart anywhere.

worth every single penny and i would not hesitate to buy another pair even at full price. yes a pair of gloves that are waterproof and do exactly what they say they do unlike the many other supposed gloves i have bought that say 'waterproof'.

well done Rukka.
Old 20-07-13, 08:06 PM   #5
savage86

I do believe that you sir have just swayed my on my new commuting gloves.
Old 20-07-13, 08:38 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

i don't think you will regret your decision. best gloves i have had by a loooong way and i have had a lot of gloves.
Old 25-07-13, 09:12 PM   #7
savage86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i don't think you will regret your decision. best gloves i have had by a loooong way and i have had a lot of gloves.
Just arrived this morning, just back in from work and a 80 mile total soaking of a trip. Gloves are great got from the above link you provided cheers, quick delivery and well packaged.

Real comfy out of the box, not thick like most waterproof gloves out there so plenty of feel and nimble fingers for controls. But still toasty warm, no feeling of wind sneaking in at motorway + speeds.

Hope they stay as good over the coming miles.
Old 26-07-13, 12:18 AM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

commuting will test their worth more than my sunday runs.
Old 29-07-13, 07:29 PM   #9
embee
Mega Poster

Since the thread is up again, I'll just add that I'm 100% happy with mine. They're a rather warm summer glove, probably ideal for spring/autumn, I suspect they might get a bit nippy in cold weather (but I don't do that these days!). I did also treat myself to some Halvarssons summer gloves (mesh&leather with armouring) and in the hot weather they are truly blissful.

I've done a few wet days while touring abroad, and the Apollos have indeed been waterproof. They do take a while to really break-in fully, but if you get the right size (read all the comments about sizing carefully!!!) they should end up very comfy indeed. At a bit over £100 from the right supplier they're good value IMO. Biker land.de were excellent to deal with in my experience, email in English and delivered in a few days.

Last edited by embee; 29-07-13 at 08:01 PM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-13, 09:54 PM   #10
Tomor
Mega Poster

Embee, it wasn't the Briad glove was it?