SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-08-12, 10:19 PM   #1
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Sprint Steering Damper Fitting.

I was tidying up in the garage the other week and found a little box that contained a Sprint Steering Damper. So I decided to fit it. Here is a little step by step if anyones interested.

The Damper I have is made by Sprint and as I had no instructions I thought it would be a good idea to drop them an email to ask for a copy that they kindly obliged with. However there were no pictures so I thought I'd take a few...

Firstly the kit. It comprises of three main parts, there is the tank mounting bracket (in black), the yoke mount, and then the damper. If you buy new you also get some dowel pins and a drill bit. But as this is used the dowel is already there.

So the first step is to attach the tank bracket. This is simple. Remove the two bolts holding the tank on and take the washers off of the bolts. Use these washers to sit between the tank and the bracket and install using the longer bolts supplied.

Now the fun part. Drilling the top yoke. The yoke bracket has a dowel in it to stop it spinning which you need to make a recess for in the yoke. You don't need to drill down much for it and my little battery Tescos Value drill with a 3mm bit could cope easily with the soft metal. If buying new you have the undoweled yoke mount which makes deciding where to drill slightly easier. As I didn't I tried to make a template. And I now have a top yoke with a couple of little extra holes in it. My advise, pop the yoke mount over then hit the dowel with a hammer. A firm strike will leave a good enough dent to use as a pilot.

With the hole(s) drilled at the 6 o'clock position the yoke mount can be mounted and the stem nut replaced. There is traditionally a washer under the nut but this is now not needed. And so you know 30mm socket to 65nm.

Now finally the damper can be slid in and bolted to the yoke and tank mounts. There should be 17mm of space between the yoke mount and the end of the damper body.

Once fitted a quick side to side to check to make sure I can still move and its good to go. I think I have lost a degree or two off of the left. I think this is due to me not getting the dowel in the exactly right place. So I may have another go with a fresh yoke at some point. But it doesn't effect the ride or usable turning circle. But remember before setting off, give it a go adjusting it. I did all the way to the off position is like its not there, all the way on and its very heavy to move. So at the moment I have it on a few clicks above off but will play around with it as time goes on.

Oh and one final thing. To the naysayers, who say you do not need a damper on a SV so why fit one? Simple. Because I want to, because I can.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-12, 08:42 AM   #2
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sprint Steering Damper Fitting

Cool, can't wait to see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Oh and one final thing. To the naysayers, who say you do not need a damper on a SV so why fit one? Simple. Because I want to, because I can.
..... and because you had it.

Clearing the garage, one box at a time

; )

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-12, 11:57 PM   #3
Dabteacake

Default Re: Sprint Steering Damper Fitting.

Looks easy enough to do!! Nice guide
Old 25-08-12, 12:32 PM   #4
cx5

Default Re: Sprint Steering Damper Fitting.

Hi squirrel, have you formed any opinion on this thing yet ?