SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 15-10-12, 10:55 PM   #1
TCochrane

Talking My SK3 Copper Progression (Photo heavy!!)

I bought this SV in May '12 for £1600 as my first bike and right from the word "go" I had a list as long as my arm on all the things I wanted to change / add.

June '12: ( picture taken day I bought her )
Cleaned and polished
White LED sidelights
New tyres

July '12:
Red rim-tape
Carbon-fibre style tank protector

August '12:
Red aftermarket levers

October '12: (YAY student loan! )
HID headlights
Rear hugger
Aftermarket mirrors with built in LED indicators
Oxford Neptune front indicators
Clear LED indicator integrated rear lights (indicators not working yet due to no resistor)
Laser X-treme GP style exhaust with custom link pipe
Lower fairings

December '12:
R&G heated grips
Removed original rear indicators
Removed front LED indicators
Replaced red rim tape with black rim tape
LED relay

Christmas!!
GSXR1000 rear shock
MRA double bubble tinted screen
Painted brake calipers gold

March '13:
Smoked LED flush fairing indicators
LED indicators on rear as well as integrated indies in the brake lights
Carbon fibre fender extender
Carbon fibre top yoke protector

May '13:
New steering bearing
Braided brake lines

Huge thank you to Hopper650 for the exhaust and Phil_24_7 for the lower fairings!

This is my pride and joy so please be nice with your feedback

- Tim

Last edited by TCochrane; 08-04-13 at 11:45 PM.
Old 15-10-12, 11:59 PM   #2
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Default Re: My SK3 Copper Progression

I hated the colour of these at first, but it has really grown on me. That looks lovely. I fitted flush fit indicators in the fairing and front facing ones too, but also tried Oxford indis, but found them to be less than useful so reverted back to standard for the rear.

It looks nice with the fairing, how about fitting a colour matched seat cover and remove the pillion pegs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-12, 12:30 PM   #3
TCochrane

***Main post updated***

Runako - Thank you for your feedback muchly appreciated mate
I'd like to mount the exhaust on the rear brake so it's much lower down purely for ascetic reasons, I think it looks much nicer mounted down there. There are many pictures of them mounted in this way on the internet, just google something like " Laser xtreme gp style R6 " Have had a look at the possibility of doing this today and it looks like the 2-1 collector is too far to the rear of the bike so it won't really be possible..

1) The rear tyre has done about 800 miles, and not sure how much the front has done, but both have plenty of tread left in them.
2) I'm currently waiting for replacement resistors for the rear indicators ( ones I was sent were faulty ) and yes, currently have the originals connected.
3) I'm really not a fan of crash bungs, and I know I've only been riding for a relatively short amount of time, but I really wouldn't like to put crash bungs on.

It has K&N oil and air filters that were put on in the last service a couple weeks ago as well as new plugs, oil etc
Am getting a tinted double bubble screen in the winter as an xmas present from my brother.
Don't worry - I would never pay someone to fit something I could learn how to do myself
I'll have a look into rearsets, most likely will get them around xmas time too!
I take pillions too often for a sport cowl to be of any real use tbh, but I definitely love the look of them! If I had infinite money..

Jayneflakes - Thank you too for your feedback
Funnily enough, when I set out to get an SV I told myself that I wouldn't get a copper one because I thought they were so ugly in all the pictures, but when I saw one in the flesh I fell in love with it and never looked back! One of the best colours for SV's in my opinion!

As stated earlier in this reply, I take pillions too often to think about removing pillion pegs and a sport cowl.
Old 16-10-12, 02:57 PM   #4
jambo
Mega Poster

I like the colour, though generally I try to make sure modifications aren't just cosmetic.

Mounting the exhaust down by the rear brake would probably look neat, though you'd need to check for ground clearance, so it doesn't ground out before the pegs. Mounting it TO the rear brake isn't really a good shout as the exhaust is fixed to the engine / frame, and the rear brake moves with the swing arm

Jambo
Old 16-10-12, 04:12 PM   #5
Runako

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCochrane View Post
I'd like to mount the exhaust on the rear brake ...
Ah, see what you mean (connected to the rearset). Examples online do look quite cool, but Jambo also makes a good point.

Quote:
... really not a fan of crash bungs ... but I really wouldn't like to put crash bungs on.
You live in the UK. Put em on. If you have to be creative then personalise/customise them ... but put them on. This question pops up time and time again. Search the site for more opinions.

Other than that, not much else unless you're seriously modding. DarrenSV has converted his front end with cool front light set up. I think TamSV has customised fairing panels. Some even acquire/build a new sub frame so that they can use a new seat unit. Search SV of the month.

But for your intentions I'd go the comfort/gradual customisation route.

A plusher seat is nice. Heated grips is a must for winter IMO (I have em, they're great). Colour coded bar ends/bobbins, extendable levers, bolts & nuts is also popular along with clear clutch covers (really nice but useless other than to look at). Requires little effort but will create a much nicer, individual look.

Gradual changes will transform the look of the bike, but think it through carefully before making the changes and you're more likely to get a result you're happy with.

Last edited by Runako; 16-10-12 at 04:13 PM.
Old 16-10-12, 06:48 PM   #6
TCochrane

I think I'm going to leave re positioning the exhaust for the minute while I wait for the next student loan installment early next year, I'll have another look into it then.

I was considering doing a streetfighter conversion similar to DarrenSV's, I love his as well as many other examples on the forum, but I figured my next bike will be a GSR 750 / kawasaki z1000 or something similar to that, so will go down the naked route then. For now I'd like a faired bike.

For xmas I think I'll definitely get a gel seat from Corbin or something equal to them. I won't be riding my bike in the winter months so heated grips don't really apeal to me. I think I'm going to take your advice, Runako, and change the colour of the nuts and bolts to black and put black rear sets on at xmas.
I'd never heard of clear clutch covers before, but after looking up a few examples I think they're gorgeous! Will definitely put that on my list of things to get!

Have just ordered a new rim tape in black to replace the old red tape. The new tape is much wider than the red ones so should make them look a bit meaner.

Cheers Runako
Old 16-10-12, 06:58 PM   #7
hopper650

It's virtually impossible to mount the exhaust lower down, I tried many different combinations including cutting and bending stainless pipe when I had it. That was the best I could come up with when I had it. How are you finding the noise lol
Old 16-10-12, 07:38 PM   #8
TCochrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopper650 View Post
It's virtually impossible to mount the exhaust lower down, I tried many different combinations including cutting and bending stainless pipe when I had it. That was the best I could come up with when I had it. How are you finding the noise lol

Ahh that's a shame.. oh well
Well it's certainly much louder than my old Beowulf can that's for sure! I wasn't expecting it to 'pop' so much and backfire so much haha. Really makes people duck for cover when I ride past with it backfiring, fantastic. Love it, thanks a lot mate!

You got the road legal insert for it?
Old 17-10-12, 01:08 PM   #9
TCochrane

My bike ( Stella ) and my housemate's CBR600f
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coventry-20121017-00185.jpg (130.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 17-10-12, 03:27 PM   #10
Thunderace

Coming on nicely Tim!

When you gonna be back with the GM for a rideout?

Just a thought, if you mount the can on the rear brake would it not move up and down with the swingarm?