SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-11-12, 07:08 PM   #1
Bluepepper

Cool 2005 SV650 Headlight High Beam Dilemma

I checked the threads here and found several on faulty headlights, but none with my unique problem with a 2005 SV650 naked:

Low beam work fine, but high beam not working. Changed bulb, but to no avail. The high beam indicator works when the switch is used, as well as the passing switch, but no high beam light. I checked the voltage at the headlight connector and I get voltage for the low, but not the high. Fuses are OK. I am baffled because the switches are activating the indicator light. What else is there to check? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Old 15-11-12, 10:05 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2005 SV650 Headlight High Beam Dilemma

The fault is in the yellow wire from the fuse to the light, but forward of the branch into the clocks as the warning light works. Look around the headstock area for damaged or trapped wiring.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-12, 08:24 PM   #3
Bluepepper

Sid Squid: You were spot on! I followed the yellow wire and found that there was a weak spot in the insulation indicating a break in the wire. It was at the point where the clip was holding the harness to the frame between the fork and the fuel cell. After joining the wires, soldering it, sealing it with shrink tube, and securing the harness wrapping with a fair amount of electrical tape, I am good to go. Your quick and accurate response is greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Old 17-11-12, 08:54 AM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote