SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-03-13, 10:06 AM   #1
ChrisCurvyS

Default Will new 'green' fuel kill bike engines?

Can anyone shed any light on claims that the new E10 fuel additive demanded by the EU could damage older, carbed engines?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...mage-cars.html

It's been reported in the Mail and Telegraph which aren't the EU's biggest fans, so the threat may be a bit of an exaggeration.

Even so, the idea of shipping something which makes engines less economical over the Atlantic by gas-guzzling tankers doesn't strike me as particularly 'green'.

Not to mention helping to push food prices up by reducing the amount of land available for crop growth.

ChrisCurvyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-13, 10:28 AM   #2
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Default Re: Will new 'green' fuel kill bike engines?

IIRC this has already been done in America and the issue is this; "The high ethanol content could also ruin the engines of some older cars and motorbikes as it could melt some components"

It is the older vehicles with fibreglass parts or a ethanol sensitive rubber within the fuel system that are having issues
Old 13-03-13, 10:31 AM   #3
Spank86

Yes.

Riding in France the stuff they have there even made my mates modern carbed bonneville run rough, not too sure if it made any difference to the S4 but the mileage was definitely off.
Old 13-03-13, 10:39 AM   #4
Dicky Ticker

Bio-diesel works in Ducatis?--------------the older members will know what I am talking about.
Old 13-03-13, 10:40 AM   #5
markc123

E10 makes my curvy pop like a champion on overrun. Just add tunnel for extra giggles.
Old 13-03-13, 12:42 PM   #6
ChrisCurvyS

So it is a very real issue then. I've also got a '69 Beetle so that'll be fun.

Between this, the test laws designed to phase out motorcycling and anti-tamper, the EU really isn't doing much to endear itself to bikers is it?

Never thought I'd say this but I'm seriously considering voting UKIP at the next election. Anyone else?

Suppose the question is whether the benefits of returning democratic freedoms and escaping nonsense like this would be worth the revenge the EU would reap in trade levies, import taxes etc.
ChrisCurvyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-13, 12:46 PM   #7
Dunn-y

Are they going to be lowering fuel prices then? If they plan on swapping out the fuel we use to one which makes vehicles even less fuel efficient seems backwards. You'd end up paying more for even less mileage.
Old 13-03-13, 12:51 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

It will also make your engines run slightly leaner. Not an issue with lambda and knock sensors but a bit issue without them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCurvyS View Post
So it is a very real issue then. I've also got a '69 Beetle so that'll be fun.

Between this, the test laws designed to phase out motorcycling and anti-tamper, the EU really isn't doing much to endear itself to bikers is it?

Never thought I'd say this but I'm seriously considering voting UKIP at the next election. Anyone else?
Already do...
Old 13-03-13, 12:52 PM   #9
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunn-y View Post
Are they going to be lowering fuel prices then? If they plan on swapping out the fuel we use to one which makes vehicles even less fuel efficient seems backwards. You'd end up paying more for even less mileage.
In short, no.

The Ethanol they'll most likely mix with the "regular" petrol isn't actually any cheaper to produce, so, fuel prices will remain on par with what they are now.

But, it will cost more per mile as Ethanol has a lower energy value than petrol per unit mass
Old 13-03-13, 12:55 PM   #10
Dunn-y

So basically another way of taking more of our money.