SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-05-13, 09:02 PM   #1
MrKarl

Default Curvy mods advice please.

Am looking to get a few new parts when I get some more money soon.

Was just wondering if anyone on here would help me out by offering knowledge about improvements worth doing and rough prices if known.

I have a curvy sv650s,

Three things I am dead certain I want are:

New exhaust (can someone tell me what the link pipe is?)
Belly Pan/lower fairing (although was told that they are quite rare for a curvy)
Double Bubble screen.

Later I may look into heated grips, scottoiler and crash bungs, but would need more winter time than summer.

So any information would be helpful!

Just certain things I've seen are people who change front wheel, forks, yoke, brake discs etc.

- Karl
Old 20-05-13, 09:08 PM   #2
otaylor38

Default Re: Curvy mods advice please.

Hey karl

The link pipe is the small piece of stainless tubing that links the end can to the exhaust pipe (that youl need to cut on an sv). Most end cans are the same, but different link pipes ake it fit different bikes.

Old 20-05-13, 09:13 PM   #3
MrKarl

Ahh, cheers!

I just see quite a few people who sell second hand exhausts often have a link pipe too.

If I got a new end can, would it be relatively straight forward to put on?
Old 20-05-13, 11:18 PM   #4
otaylor38

Yeah. Does it state which bike its in the advertisement mate?

Given you have the right link pipe, you need to cut the original pipe sbove the weld (50mm n a beowulf, but may depend on manufacturer) with a grinder, multi tool, hacksaw or whatever you have t hand lol. Then it simply slips on and theres a nut on the new one to tighten it up .
Old 20-05-13, 11:23 PM   #5
BikerCraig

Exhaust is dead easy if you have an angle grinder and metal cutting wheel, if not a hack saw will do exactly the same job just more elbow grease. Most exhausts will have some form of fitting instructions but honestly its really simple to do! If you do get stuck there are plenty of people on here who will be happy to advise, you may even find someone relatively close who may be willing to lend a hand.

Craig
Old 21-05-13, 12:08 AM   #6
MrKarl

Ahh thanks people!

I haven't found an exhaust yet as I still need to get the money together and then I'll buy some parts. Just want a louder exhaust for safety (and of course I like hearing the sound), have footage of me filtering up through town and some idiots walk out from behind a van looking left whilst moving forward still. Luckly was hovering the breaks and aware so stopped pretty sharpish.

I can get hold of an angle grinder, but don't mind sawing it cause i'm pretty versatile at mechanical stuff. Just I don't have the knowledge to back it up.

P.S.

Just another question if you know, I've read somewhere that people do a GSXR front end swap, also a change of rear springs.

Last edited by MrKarl; 21-05-13 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Needed to ask a P.S.
Old 21-05-13, 02:00 AM   #7
Joe Marcon

Look for a full race exhaust system for the sv. And look at getting new shape sv650 cam shafts . Adds around 4bhp but have abit more rev range and i noticed alot better
Old 21-05-13, 11:48 AM   #8
BikerCraig

Yer quite a lot of people go for a full front end transplant to USD gsxr kit with a rear shock upgrade, its something that i myself would like to do to my sv at some point BUT... in my opinion i would wait until you are happy with knowing the limits and capabilities of the standard bike. Others may well disagree but i think its better to give the stock kit a chance before you decide to write it off.
Spring upgrade and emulators are a cheaper option than the usd conversion but obviously it won't give as good results, saying that it seems to be a popular stepping stone between stock and a usd swap.

Craig
Old 21-05-13, 12:07 PM   #9
wideguy

Unless you're really large, the stock suspension works well. A little soft for racing.
With springs of proper rate for your weight, and emulators added to the front forks, the front end works extremely well, and this is a lot easier and cheaper than swapping the entire front end.
Adding some 4 pot calipers on the front makes the brakes a lot better.
Old 23-05-13, 08:59 PM   #10
MrKarl

Thanks for the posts! Sorry didn't reply, been doing uni revision.

I am 11-12 stone (not sure what that is in lbs wideguy, think you use lbs anyway) so not that heavy.

I will look into getting 4 pot calipers and emulators, also have a look about for those camshafts.

With the exhaust I may just look for a slip on exhaust as I don't have that much money for a full racing one (unless they're cheap?)

Also I noticed a thing about the recitifer (however you spell it) and some people put in a cbr unit. Can someone explain why?

I know what it does luckily so won't have to explain that part