SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-05-13, 09:15 PM   #1
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Nuts And Bolts - what to use?

Working on my TZR has got me thinking about nuts and bolts...

The first thing I'm thinking of is rust and generally rubbish looking fasteners. While they are perfectly usable and serviceable when put next to a freshly powdercoated mount they really look out of place. So I'm thinking of replacing them with new stuff, but then what new type of fastener do I need? Stainless Steel?

Trouble is I wonder about suitability and strength. While the bolt that holds the coolant tank on for example doesn't need to be the strongest metal known to man, the bolts that attach the shock absorber to the frame might well need to have some strength rating. So with that in mind should I be using different bolts for structural applications and others for non structural?

And finally, why so many different bolt types? Some with allen head others standard 10mm or 12mm hex and even the occasional screw. I would have thought that Yamaha or any other bike manufacturer put a little thought into the selection of the bolt type so should I change them all for one type or try to find exact matches of all different types?

I never knew bolts could be that complicated, what do you all advise?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-13, 11:11 PM   #2
wideguy

Default Re: Nuts And Bolts

Yes, very much so. There is a very wide range of strength and wear resistance in hardware, as well as corriosion resistance and even temperature ratings.
Everything important to the safe operation of the machine should be replaced with an equivalent, or better fastener.
Head types are sometimes important and sometimes not. As far as the style, designers just like to create new methods of driving bolts and screws so we have to buy even more tools, but, there are also heads (and nuts) that are designed for tension applications, and some for shear. Tension fasteners can replace shear fasteners, but shear cannot replace tension.
Old 23-05-13, 06:54 AM   #3
Runako

Ha! I took it upon myself to investigate and even started a thread with all different bolt sizes and types for the SV!

Unfortunately for me, I now know more about bolts than I care to admit.

Cap Head bolts and other socket bolts - only real difference between them is the shoulder above the shaft. They're all sockets but the cap head allows better purchase as the head is deeper and the shoulder takes the load better. Hex bolts obviously have more points of contact.

Actually, I'll just post this link as the documents explain all you need to know about bolts - http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-in...Type-Chart.pdf

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-in...ner-Basics.pdf

Also, I have info on bolt tensility somewhere and located suppliers of high tensile bolts matching the type for various parts of the bike, such as caliper bolts. They are more expensive obviously but highly rust resistant and strong as hell (A4 marine grade).

There is a trade off between tensility and brittleness. So high tensile is stronger but will break rather than deform. So lower tensile steel is actually more useful for certain parts of the bike. You have to also consider that using high tensile materials in softer threads like Alu may kill the threads because of the bolt threads strength, so again a for ductile bolt is better.

There are also issues with torque load to be considered. Changing the grade of fastner used may affect the torque setting for that application. Using loctite and the same torque as recommended and you could damage bolt or thread.

The material types - Steel, SS, Copper, Titanium, Zinc coated etc - are trade-offs in weight, ductility and rust inhibition. Marine Grade A4 Stainless Steel for example is highly rust resistant because it has a higher level of Chromium, is stronger than A2 and can be used in the same applications, but is more brittle.

The engineers of the site will know far more.

Whew!

Last edited by Runako; 23-05-13 at 07:17 AM.
Old 23-05-13, 08:19 AM   #4
Owenski

I replaced as many bolts as possible with allen headed stainless bolts on the builds i've just completed.
A little copper slip on the thread (or thread lock if required).
You can buy generic 500 bolt bundles from ebay for very very cheap, then just buy yourself a pro-bolt fairing kit for the stuff you'll actually see. That's what I did so hence would recommended.
Old 23-05-13, 09:28 AM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Black stainless looks nice if you can get it
Old 23-05-13, 09:53 AM   #6
Runako

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
You can. I have. Not cheap.
Old 23-05-13, 10:03 AM   #7
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I'm sure I've got some 8.8 black steel M10's off a job they certainly ain't.
I've found these who do mail order and do a cracking range of stainless fastners
http://www.ukstainless.co.uk/

One thing to say, is be carful with Titanium as they shear in load situations (i.e: caliper mounts).

A2 Stainless seems to be the best balacne between standard and A4 marine

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-13, 11:50 AM   #8
veenee

Default Re: Nuts And Bolts - what to use?

you could also check out this website:

http://www.pro-bolt.com/

where you can search for bolts & nuts by bike
Old 29-05-13, 12:03 PM   #9
Runako

Quote:
Originally Posted by veenee View Post

Yes but probolt doesn't always provide the sizes (and pitch) for its nuts and bolts if they're in a kit. Also no info on tensility.
Old 29-05-13, 12:59 PM   #10
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by veenee View Post

Anodised and over priced. Used them once for a set of sprocket carrier nuts (same price for Titanium as OEM cheesesteel)

The only thing pro bolt is good for (if you can get one) is the guage tool

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote