SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-04-15, 07:01 AM   #1
PhilSV

Default Track day tyres

Hello all

Im so out of sink with buying tyres I need a little help, been running my brothers old dunlop race scrubs up until him stopping racing and am going to treat myself to a new set of something any recommendations?

Sv650 Curvy running gsxr k1 front so 120/70 17 and a 160/60 17 rear.
Dry track days only, usually at Cadwell, never bother with my tyre warmers.

cheers Phil
PhilSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-15, 07:44 AM   #2
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Track day tyres

I guess it depends on what you are trying to do and what you want out of your tyres. If you are trying to chase down the last few 10th of a lap time then buying the latest track rubber may pay off, but if like me you just enjoy riding around within yours and the bikes limits then pretty much anything black and round will do. There are some great deals to be had with rubber that is "so last year", things like Michelin 2CTs or Dunlop Qualifiers that it's hard to ignore them. These tyres were great in their day and just because there is a new kid on the back doesn't make them rubbish now.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-15, 07:55 AM   #3
PhilSV

I had seen the pair of michelin pilot powers on flea bay new for £140 ! And yes I'm just after a bimble out rather than flat out Rossi wannabe !!
Old 22-04-15, 08:08 AM   #4
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Provided they haven't been sat in somebody's back garden for the past few years they'll be fine. A lot of dealers clear out old stock and they have usually been stored properly.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-15, 08:21 AM   #5
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Phil, give Andy at A18 tyres a ring, he should be able to do you a deal and give you some advice. He's on the A18 between J1 and J2 of the M180. I've been using him for about 7 years now, he's a proper tyre geek but otherwise a sound bloke.

Which tyres, well I prefer Bridgestones and am using a pair of S20s both on road and track. I do a lap or tow to warm them and my brain up, but they've never so much as twitched. My speed is the middle of Inters normally. I think the minitwins guys like the Pirelli Corsas, didn't do it for me though so went back to Bridegstones.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-15, 09:05 AM   #6
Bias

I'm glad this came up as a topic as I'm in the same boat here. I'm currently running BT023's and while I think they are awesome tyres, I would like summat a bit stickier and I like the way the Bridgestones handle. Looks like th S20's are the way to go.

Johnny, are your S20s the Evo version or the original ones?

Cheers
Bias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-15, 11:11 AM   #7
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I think they're the normal ones. As I say I warm them up on the track before going hard, but I've never noticed the difference between warm and cold, which I have with other tyres like the Pirellis. I did a track day at Silverstone last year where it binned it down for the first two sessions. It was forecast to dry up later so I just rode around slower, almost on my own, and learned the track a bit. All just worked, no problems, I was riding faster than I would on the road but obviously not normal track pace. I had 016s before that, they were the same story, just worked all the time.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-15, 03:28 PM   #8
nutzboutbikes

For track days I would suggest a look at either the Avon 3d Supersport or Pirelli Rosso Corsa both tyres are classed as a 50/50 road and track tyre, the Avon will be a little a cheaper.
Old 22-04-15, 06:14 PM   #9
PhilSV

Thanks Jonnyrod, will give him a shout tomorrow, I think I want to go for something a little more track oriented so will see what he says

cheers Phil
Old 22-04-15, 06:29 PM   #10
PhilSV

Anyone used the Dunlop Sportmax GP Racer D211 ?