SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-05-15, 04:57 PM   #1
petro53

Default Extended shifter rod

Hi everyone! Another quick question. I just put 1" up and 1" back foot peg plates on my 04 pointy. The stock shift rod is around 1.5" or 4cm too short, I read somewhere that a stock gsxr rod is longer and should work. Any idea on what year/model gsxr? Any other suggestions would certainly be welcome. I just want to avoid chopping up and extending the stock one if possible.

Thx!
Old 19-05-15, 07:28 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Extended shifter rod

Weld a thread an inch or so long on the end - returning to standard just requires a hacksaw.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-15, 07:32 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

yup as SS said but remember to do the correct end as one end is left the other is right threaded.

or you can use a female/female standoff
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-15, 07:45 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

As above

Pro Bolt sell linkage rods in various lengths

http://www.pro-bolt.com/probolt-search
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-15, 06:42 PM   #5
petro53

Thx for the responses. I think I'll cut it in 2, put a metal tube over it, set it to the proper length and weld the ends. I think it will help keep it straight. Looks like there will be enough clearance for the added diameter. Thx again.
Old 21-05-15, 04:56 PM   #6
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro53 View Post
Any other suggestions would certainly be welcome. I just want to avoid chopping up and extending the stock one if possible.
When I adapted my wife's K5, I just bought some 6mm plain stainless steel rod and a cheap M6x1 left hand thread die off ebay. (I already had the regular RH die.) I then simply made up a longer rod to suit.

[As an aside, the bigger challenge I faced was dealing with the rear brake side - I found I wanted a longer/different brake fluid tube between the cylinder and the fluid reservoir but the standard one is shaped and I can't see a way to modify it to give more front to rear length. In the end I found there was just enough room between the subframe and the standard position to allow me to get away with just an extended mounting bracket for the reservoir but I'm not really happy with it because it's probably rubbing under vibration whilst moving and it looks slightly misfitted. How did you handle this, OP?]
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote