SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-04-16, 07:20 PM   #1
Redmist

Default New season - New project SV650 build

As per my thread previously, I had wanted to swap my SV1000 for a 650 and today it happened.

I wanted another 650 for two major reasons:
1) So I don't have to adjust so much when attending a hillclimb event (Where you don't get much time on your bike!) I can run a 650 on road and jump on my race bike with less brain adjustments required!
2) So I have a rolling parts box, should I stack the race bike during the season I have bits ready to swap across as required.

So the SV1000 went to fellow order Baldricc and I brought home his much traveled K3 650.

Sorry if you're reading this mate but as soon as I got home the work began!

5 minutes after getting the bike home:

30 minutes after getting the bike home:

I had noticed some play in the bearings so I took them to bits as a matter of course.

Checked for any rust in the head bearings and found them perfectly clean and with smooth bearing races. Good stuff.
Splashed on a load of new grease for good measure and then refitted the original yoke and clipons.

End of day 1:

On the jobs list:

Forks: Hope to fit some ktech springs and YSS emulators
Brakes: Rebuild as a matter of course with some HEL lines I have spare.
Bodywork: As I'm not a fan of the blue, I'll be looking to fit some black bits and spray the rest.
Wheels: Need a respray
Generator cover: Replace or cover with some R&G protection!
General: Tidy up and get riding!

Please feel free to suggest some options for the front end which will remain naked / streetfighter ish. I quite fancy doing something Street Triple ish. The later model with the angular headlights.

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 07:46 PM   #2
prisspringle

Default Re: New season - New project SV650 build

Looks like a nice swap, look forward to seeing it at work. I'd look at the custom fighter forum, there's a sv fighter's pic thread. You not tempted to go gsxr forks like the thou? If you go emulators with the forks I might need to pick your mind about the fitting them, I've had a set sat waiting to be fitted for over a year

Last edited by prisspringle; 02-04-16 at 07:48 PM.
prisspringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-16, 07:29 AM   #3
Geodude
Mega Poster

Hope you've got the model booked for the build photo's

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-16, 08:32 PM   #4
Redmist

Cheers dudes.

I won't go with gixxer forks cos my other 650 doesn't have them either. I already experienced fitting the emulators on that bike so yeah I can show you the way at the same time as doing these.

I doubt we'll be modelling this one, although that was a fun day

Old 09-04-16, 07:57 PM   #5
Redmist

Day2 of the project:

So I went about replacing the long throttle and clutch cables with the correct ones for the clip ons.

So the throttle bodies came out to gain access to the throttle cable mounts:

The cables were swapped easy enough but the R6 throttle tube I aimed to fit has some damage to the cable guide so need a new one to finish that job.

So onto the clutch cable and so I removed the sprocket cover, oohh nasty!

So that took plenty of my time up trying to clean off the years of dirt:

The clutch rod mechanism was in a sorry state so I took it apart and rebuilt it which was a fiddly job refitting the bearings!

With the evening fast approaching I decided that with the tank already off I may as well swap it for the black one I bought.

That took a while, pumping out the petrol with my syphon pump before swapping over the fuel pump and mounting hinge.

Finally got that fitted before sun down:

Having done all that I spotted that the front wheel was not straight when the top yoke was. So I need to find out the reason for that. Strangely the the forks fit into the top yoke fine which usually doesn't happen if the bottom yoke is bent.

So it could be the forks but the stanchions were recently replaced by the last owner. So another job to deal with! Great!

Old 10-04-16, 04:20 PM   #6
DomP

YSS emulators and k tech springs is on my to do list this summer too, be interested to see your pics when you do it.
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-16, 08:26 PM   #7
Redmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomP View Post
YSS emulators and k tech springs is on my to do list this summer too, be interested to see your pics when you do it.
Yeah I'll be posting up when I get around to them. Need to order both the valves and springs first.

I played around with the forks today and no matter where I rotated the fork stanchions to, the wheel was mostly pointing to the left by a few degrees.

It may not be enough to sense it thru the bars on the road, but with the lower yokes being readily available on ebay I will grab another one to hopefully make it perfect.

I refitted the front brake calipers after replacing the seals and using the HEL brake lines I had, so the bar controls are nearly done and almost rideable again.

At the very least I'd like to use it as a test bed to bed in some pads on the front wet wheel ready for May 2nd hillclimb on the race bike. Hopefully proving its worth and fulfilling some of the reasons why I swapped to a 650 road bike.

Old 16-04-16, 06:55 PM   #8
Redmist

Earlier in the week I had a few parcels arrive so I set about the bike again today.

Firstly I fitted another lower yoke from an ebay breaker and joy of joys, the wheel is now straight when the bars are. So I could carry on and get her road ready.

Some wheels arrived too, powder coated (Which I'm not usually a fan of) in black so I got the local garage to throw on some supercorsa scrubs I had.
Sadly the front wheel wouldn't balance without discs so I whipped them off the old wheel today and have left him with the black one to try again on Monday.

Still I fitted my wet wheel from the trackbike, which I need to bed some pads onto anyway and then set about fitting the black tail plastics from my trackbike build.

In between the showers and sleet, I cleaned off a load of road gunk on the swingarm, fitted the tail, fitted the wheels and the temporary headlight solution.

I stood back and admired my two week turnaround!

"The brothers twin"

I ran out of time to fit the genny cover so that'll have to wait.

The ignition key is giving me some issues, after plenty of attempts to even switch the damn thing on, it turns out I have to pull the key towards me in order to get it to move and I cannot get it into the lock position.

But at least I can give her a road test before further mods for the suspension and a decent headlight solution.

(The V5 arrived today so yes the will soon know its now black)

Cheers chaps

Old 17-04-16, 04:26 PM   #9
Griff-SV

As with your other project thread Redmist, I shall be watching this one with great interest. All the best for the season this year and whatever you have planned for it!
Old 17-04-16, 05:37 PM   #10
Redmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff-SV View Post
As with your other project thread Redmist, I shall be watching this one with great interest. All the best for the season this year and whatever you have planned for it!
Many thanks Griff, I've got some plans growing so watch this space.

Anyway I took it for a quick blast today and I can tell me and this bike have gelled instantly. Although the suspension needs a dose of the usual sv mods the feeling is already great.

The shock which is apparently a gsxr one feels a bit stiff but I will first try and dial in the settings before exchanging it.

In the excitement of the first ride I had the rear step out on the cold supercorsa but once I'd settled myself and warmed it up, I enjoyed it a lot!

I've picked out a headlight so will get that ordered and set to work on getting some clocks and speedo back.

Ta for now