SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-07-16, 11:48 AM   #1
antonashcroft

Default Advice on retaining cat B write off

on the 27th of may I joined the 'off club' when a car pulled in front of me resulting in a head on crash. I was thrown onto their bonnet and snapped my collarbone, but worse, my beloved gen 1 sv was a cat B write off. Insurance have offered me £1500 payout or £1350 if i keep the salvage. What should I do?
It was all front end damage but the back, fuel tank, swing arm, suspension were all fine!

Obviously i'd have to destroy the frame but how much does this cost?

Many thanks guys
Old 25-07-16, 12:12 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Advice on retaining cat B write off

depends on if you are going to get another curvy and you have somewhere to strip the bike down.

where is the bike located? if its at the assessors then you might have to pay storage fees and delivery costs so i would sort that out with the insurance company first.

you dont have to take the offer if you feel that you cant replace the bike for the money they are offering. remember its not your fault so technically you should not be out of pocket to replace like for like.

regarding the frame i would presume that you just take it to your local scrappy and get a receipt and then inform the DVLA.

also remember with the new road tax law you must inform the DVLA that the bike is no longer on the road and cancel the tax.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-16, 12:50 PM   #3
Corny Gizmo

I would personally take the payout, £1500 is a good amount from the insurers and would get you another Curvy no problem. I wouldn't be paying more that a that for a curvy if i was looking for one.

Thats my opinion anyway
Old 25-07-16, 12:50 PM   #4
antonashcroft

cheers for the advice Bibio, Im looking to get another curvy and have a garage so that part of the problem would be solved.

The bike is still at the assessors , but i think as I wasnt at fault surely the third party would cover that?

I will probably push for more money but thank you for the advice. spent alot on that bike so would be nice to get it back. especially if scrapping it is free!
Old 25-07-16, 01:09 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonashcroft View Post
The bike is still at the assessors , but i think as I wasnt at fault surely the third party would cover that?
maybe not and this is why they are looking for you to buy it back as the bill might be more than the cost of the bikes worth. insurance companies are unscrupulous azzwipes and once you 'agree' then you are tied in to the contract.

stipulate that you will take the bike back but only under conditions. the conditions are that the bike is returned to you and all recovery/transport, storage and assessor fees are paid by them and you will not be charged for any costs involving so.

until you come to an agreement on price then the bike still belongs to you.

who has the registration documents for the bike?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-16, 01:28 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I assume there is also an injury claim going on?Get your money back there.
As for the bike remains Id push for a slightly higher value and take all the money.A front ended old curvy will be a breaker with all the hassle of selling low value bits and being left with a large pile of unsaleable rubbish.
Old 25-07-16, 01:45 PM   #7
shiftin_gear98

Get it all in writing first, get them to send you the paperwork - two copies that you will sign and return one.
Oh and read the fine print of your insurance policy first, you might not have a leg to stand on to start with re the finer details.

Personally I'd take the £1500 quid and walk away.
Old 25-07-16, 02:10 PM   #8
tom_e

Have you also made sure they've factored the cost of replacing your kit into the settlement fee?
Old 25-07-16, 10:32 PM   #9
theenglishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_e View Post
Have you also made sure they've factored the cost of replacing your kit into the settlement fee?
There's a personal injury claim too, I guess? Many may not like the morals of it but hard cash is hard cash.
theenglishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-16, 07:39 AM   #10
tom_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by theenglishman View Post
There's a personal injury claim too, I guess? Many may not like the morals of it but hard cash is hard cash.
At the end of the day you shouldn't have to suffer financially due to someone else, so if your kit needs replacing make sure you claim for it and in this case it sounds like he took a fair bash and sustained relatively severe injuries so it's fair enough it's not like he's going to be claiming for a bit of whiplash from a 3mph car park bump.