SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-10-16, 08:09 AM   #41
LV426

Default Re: 95% certain of buying a new SV AL7 today 😁

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos View Post
That looks purty. Is there a noticeable difference in engine braking, ie less, when downshifting? When I upgraded the F800R to a Remus downshifting became much smoother with the engine spinning up more freely.
To be honest I only took it for a quick blast yesterday to make sure all was well and check the sound out, when I get chance to have a long run I'll report back. Is some popping on the over run but it runs well, sounds nice and I haven't noticed any change from stock. The cat comes before the can on these so there might not be any change, will keep my eye on the fuel range though.
Old 26-10-16, 08:14 AM   #42
LV426

Quote:
Originally Posted by macamxthe1st View Post
So you got the same one that I did, now running mine with baffle, very pleased with it, let me know which you prefer, baffle or not.
Made sense to get the same mate as it's a nice looking pipe, matching colour to the bike with the red highlight theme I'm going down. I'm running the baffle in, no need to change that at the moment, it's a little louder but much nicer deeper sound. I am getting some slight popping on the over run but nothing excessive and no back firing. Will pull the plugs after about 100 miles to see how lean its running but with the cat where the headers join under the bike I can't see there being any issue. Bike runs smooth but as you mentioned earlier it will change slightly as it ages. Really impressed
Old 26-10-16, 09:15 AM   #43
macamxthe1st

My observations are that it runs fine and not lean at all. With the baffle removed however you loose a little bit low down but gain a little bit top end, the sound I think gets a tad into the "offensive" area and attracts the sort of attention that you don't really want. I also believed that there was a small amount of extra vibration bur this could be more in my mind than actual, The popping on the overrun I really like (sad I know). In summary after running it for 5,000 plus miles I think it's as good as it get's, excellent material and build quality, very reasonable price and in the baffle fitted configuration complements the bike perfectly enhancing the experience without compromising any of the functionality, all in all a great buy.

Geoff.
Old 26-10-16, 09:22 AM   #44
LV426

Quote:
My observations are that it runs fine and not lean at all. With the baffle removed however you loose a little bit low down but gain a little bit top end, the sound I think gets a tad into the "offensive" area and attracts the sort of attention that you don't really want. I also believed that there was a small amount of extra vibration bur this could be more in my mind than actual, The popping on the overrun I really like (sad I know). In summary after running it for 5,000 plus miles I think it's as good as it get's, excellent material and build quality, very reasonable price and in the baffle fitted configuration complements the bike perfectly enhancing the experience without compromising any of the functionality, all in all a great buy.

Geoff.
Totally agree Geoff, great buy. I think your right about the extra vibration, noticed it myself yesterday, it's only slight though so it's not in your head,lol. I like the popping too.
Old 26-10-16, 09:39 AM   #45
macamxthe1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
I think your right about the extra vibration, noticed it myself yesterday, it's only slight though so it's not in your head,:
You've no idea what a relief that is to me.

Geoff.
Old 16-11-16, 09:45 AM   #46
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I have been riding AL7 since end of April (it was birthday present to myself cos nobody else looked like buying one for me). I actually think the standard can sounds OK - but got to say I don't think it looks the best but I have improved it by spraying the heatshield with matt black heat resisting paint (never intend to have a pillion passenger so shouldn't get scuffed off) - also sprayed all the exhaust pipes (except front cylinder pipe so far, still thinking about it) matt black which kinda hides them into the frame more. Well pleased with the bike, so have added hugger, front fenda extenda, MRA screen, handguards and a couple of 10W Cree LED spotlights from Alchemy as DRL's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02510.jpg (128.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02504.jpg (127.2 KB, 0 views)

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 16-11-16 at 11:42 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-16, 10:43 AM   #47
macamxthe1st

Just thinking about hand guards myself, which ones did you go for. Any info would be appreciated.

Geoff.
Old 16-11-16, 11:51 AM   #48
SV650rules
Mega Poster

macamxthe1st - see photos I have added to my previous post above

Regarding the handguards they fit into bar ends with an expansion bolt, I got them from Alchemy cost about 29 notes, gotta say that the flexible plastic tube that was supplied with them is not large enough diameter to fit inside the bars and I had to chop a couple of pieces off my braided garden hose to replace them. I haven't been out on bike since fitting them (it been raining) so can't comment on how well they keep wind off etc. They do have 8 fairly bright white LED's in each guard but I haven't connected them yet as I am waiting to see how good the guards are before putting too much time into them. You obviously have to remove the OEM end of handlebar weights to fit guards, hoping the weight of new assembly is about the same.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 16-11-16, 12:11 PM   #49
macamxthe1st

Thank you for that.

Geoff.
Old 16-11-16, 12:18 PM   #50
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Thank you for that.

Geoff.
here is link

http://www.alchemyparts.co.uk/univer...unning-lights/

Says they fit 22mm bars, but as I said I needed a larger diameter plastic tube to go between expansion bolt and inside of bars, luckily standard garden hose is pretty much exactly what was needed.