SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Madlanders For those based in the East & West Midlands.

Old 10-06-04, 12:40 PM   #1
mysteryjimbo

Default MIGTS Rideout Etiquette

Hiya MIGTS,

I was just reading through a riding tips site and i came across some guidelines for riding in groups. I thought some of them may be useful but would welcome some input and then maybe we can post them as some a sticky for new members etc.

-Where ever possible the rider at the front AND back of the group should know the route.

-Where ever possible ride in a staggered formation to "shrink" the group.

-Follow the 2-second rule.

-If the group becomes separated. Then the rider at the back of the leading group should mark a turn until the trailing riders are back in view.

-Concentrate on the road in front, not the rider.

-Ride with your lights on
---If in you need to stop, most likely for fuel, turn your lights off!
---If you see someone with his or her lights off turn yours off (message will then reach the front)

What do you think?

Any more?
Old 10-06-04, 12:42 PM   #2
jinx

The other addition is to remember that the bike at the back may have to travel at faster speeds to keep up with the one in the front
Old 10-06-04, 03:32 PM   #3
Moo

All sounds ok to me it maybe better when a group gets splitt up for the lead bike to slow down to just below the speed limit especially in areas with a gatso camera problem.
The basic rule for fuel stops is usually everyone fills up together then set the trip meter for the bike with the smallest tank when that bike needs to fill up then most times everyone else just needs to top up, shouldn't be that hard with a ride out consisting of mainly sv's.
Old 10-06-04, 03:35 PM   #4
Moo

Could use these hand signals

Old 10-06-04, 03:41 PM   #5
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moobie
The basic rule for fuel stops is usually everyone fills up together then set the trip meter for the bike with the smallest tank when that bike needs to fill up then most times everyone else just needs to top up, shouldn't be that hard with a ride out consisting of mainly sv's.
Should work but you do get some odd mileages on the poll's and that is down to riding style.

Careless driving from the plod on those since pictures we wont be in full control of our vehicles!

Visually lights are easier to spot than hand signals which can be missed or interpretted incorrectly. No good for the guy at the back either.

Doesnt work for toilet stops though!
Old 10-06-04, 07:09 PM   #6
Mrs Patch

Not my words but the consensus of the VFR Clubs ride out thread. Personally I think that this is one good piece of etiquette

Some of the real pleasures of this club are the big meets and rideouts. Group riding takes more care and a bit more concentration than solo riding so please take a moment to read this post if you are thinking of joining the club on a large rideout. The points below aren’t so much rules as points and suggestions to think about when riding in a large group. You never know, you might learn something new!!

Consensus on speed:
Most members tend to be quite happy in 60 and 70mph zones to travel at whatever speeds they individually feel are suitable. When riding in built up areas the general consensus is to stick (roughly) to the speed limits.

Ride out systems:

When we are riding in large numbers we usually have 3 groups, Fast Medium and Slow.

Each group will have some sort of system to keep us all on track, each group’s might be different but We will normally try to have a briefing session before we set off, which should cover things like route(s), is there a designated leader, stops and breaks, overtaking etiquette, etc.

Below are a couple of systems we might use depending on situation and group (fast, medium, slow).

You are welcome to go off on your own or join the group later etc. But if you find yourself amongst a group please use the system they have specified.

On any large rideout Ideally:

Bring a copy of the route, and a map (or at least familiarise yourself with the route)

If you bring along friends, please brief them on what is expected.

Arrive at the meet up with a full tank if possible, or if you have not managed that let someone know.

Go to the loo if required before the departure time.

The Drop off/Marker system

This requires a leader, a back marker, and all the riders taking part in directing the group at some point as a number 2 (even if they don’t know the route).

RUN LEADER
Usually fixed for the duration of the run.

Generally knows the route quite well. Identifies any first timers in the group and ensures they are familiar with the marshalling system to be used.
Establishes the fuel range of those machines present and arranges fuel stops as necessary.
Ensures that at least the Back Marker has details of the route, major stopping places, etc. and makes sure that the Number 2 rider is aware of the need to mark each junction. The leader should slow down and signal to the No2 when they think they should drop off. Give them time to select a suitably safe stopping place.

BACK MARKER
Usually fixed for the duration of the run.
Knows where the run is going, including any rendezvous stops etc.
Decides upon the best action necessary in the event of any participant missing a junction, or any other unplanned incident. In the case of a rider missing a junction, that junction should remain marked for a time sufficient to allow the missing rider to return.

NUMBER 2
Everyone except the Leader & Back Marker will find themselves in this slot at some time during the run.
Don't get too close to the Leader, they may just slow down for a junction whereas you will have to stop.
The general rule of marking all deviations from straight ahead (i.e. follow the white line) route must be maintained.
The exit on all roundabouts must be marked, even if the route is straight ahead (this may be eliminated only if the route is straight ahead AND all exits can easily be seen on the approach, such as many small roundabouts in towns, etc.). This is to prevent anyone taking the straight ahead exit when, in fact, it is a concealed right turn exit that is being marked.
When marking a junction, position yourself in a safe and as highly visible position as possible. If you feel that there is not a safe place to stop at a junction (r/about , Dual carriageway etc.?) DONT STOP, go a little further on before pulling over but try to be visible.
If necessary, re-inforce the direction to be taken by use of indicators and/or hand signals.
Re-join the run in front of the Back Marker when it is safe to do so. Meanwhile the group all move forward one and a new no.2 marks the next junction.
Advise the Back Marker if you believe that anyone has missed the junction.

ALL RUN PARTICIPANTS
Ensure you can identify the Leader and Back Marker.
Travel at your own pace. Do not worry about losing sight of the rider in front, as any deviation from the straight ahead route will be marshalled.
Overtaking is encouraged, but please be courteous!
If your aware of the rider behind riding a little quicker than you don't block them let them go
If in doubt about the direction to be taken, consult the marshal and/or wait for the Back Marker.
ENJOY YOURSELF!

If people are going to drop off the back of the group (behind the tail ender), they must inform the tailender what's going on.

Its not a race and you wont get left behind just because you cant see the bike in front. Take it steady, someone will be waiting at the next junction that deviates from straight ahead.

Looking after the bike behind

This system is more suited to small groups of riders who ride at similar (and normally faster) speeds.

Each rider is responsible for the rider behind taking the correct route.

Overtaking is allowed and there is no need to stop unless the route deviates from straight-ahead. If the person behind can CLEARLY see which direction you are taking you may only need to slow down. This makes for a fluid and fast rideout preventing bunching but it is easier to lose riders.
If you see the rider behind take a wrong turn wait at the junction (the person in front of you should do the same at the next junction), make sure following riders take the correct route. If you think that you’ve gone wrong ring the person who was ahead’s mobile.

Tips to safer riding in a group:

1) Always have consideration for those in-front and behind you

2) NEVER try and keep up if you feel you're having to ride above your limit. In group riding you'll always need to ride slower than normal to have the same concentration levels and safety margins.
If you are worried about pushing your limits find a rider of similar skill and team up with them for the rideout
that way you don’t get in the wrong frame of mind. Plus it’s a great way to get to know club members

3) when riding with others give them room. Don't follow too closely and if you feel you need to overtake make sure there is enough space ahead of the rider to allow you to re-merge into the group without drastic braking being needed by you or the rider you’ve just overtaken. Make sure the rider in-front is aware of your intention.

4) Take extra care to know what's in your mirrors and don’t forget lifesavers. Other bikes might be overtaking when you pull out to do a similar manoeuvre.

5) If you need to think if there will be enough space/ time to brake, overtake etc. there wont be, play it safe.

6) A good rider in a group will think about how a manoeuvre might be copied or followed by the people behind.

7) If someone is doing something you think is dangerous to the group (overtaking on the inside, late breaking etc.) or if you feel they could do with some advice, take them quietly to one side and ask if they mind you enlightening them. Try to do this in a light hearted or friendly way. No one likes a know it all and don’t forget they may have a better line of site than you.

Oh!! Don’t forget animals!! They’re bad enough when you’re on your own but a group of riders gives them longer to think of the most inopportune moment to cross your path.

Riding methods you might see being used by other riders:

1) Look out for riders ahead pointing out dangers (including speed cameras and the police). Warnings may come from: pointing with hands, sticking a leg out (handy on slippy surfaces when taking your hands off the bars is a bad idea) or dabbing brake lights.

2) If you see the rider in-front staying over on the other side of the road he's doing it for you. If they're still out on the right after an overtake it means there’s no oncoming traffic..(remember..yet!! Don’t forget junctions)

3) Similarly, mostly applying to dual carriageways, if the person in front is approaching someone or something they want to over take, move to the left (in the UK) and this gives them a better view of what is coming up behind. Conversely move to the right when they want to move to a lane to the left of you..

4) If you are riding in a staggered formation (a good way of dominating the road and fitting a large group of bikers into a small area, although only on straight roads and areas where it wont upset the line of sight of obstacles), don't come alongside, even partially, the bike in front. Try to keep a decent stopping distance between bikes in case the rider infront drops their bike into your path in an unseen braking emergancy. This also means that if they need to swerve sideways around obstacles, they can do so safe in the knowledge that they wont run the risk of colliding with the bike behind.

So Now you've read ths you'll have an idea of what to expect on a big group run.

Dont worry If you cant remember it all, its here to make you think, thats all. I'm sure it will all be re-iterated on every rideout and if in doubt just ask any member and they'll do their best to answer your questions.
Old 10-06-04, 07:37 PM   #7
wheelnut

Sounds like a good idea, but as its not a marathon journey we can use the ciggy stops me and Barty will need to catch up. We seem to have three and half hours for a two and a bit hour run. How about 2 coffee stops and 3 cig stops?
Old 10-06-04, 09:17 PM   #8
derbybiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut
Sounds like a good idea, but as its not a marathon journey we can use the ciggy stops me and Barty will need to catch up. We seem to have three and half hours for a two and a bit hour run. How about 2 coffee stops and 3 cig stops?
2.5 hours - leaving Alfreton @ 09:30 need to be at the C&F @ 12:00
Old 10-06-04, 11:51 PM   #9
Barty_b0y

yup im a ciggy man ok but from alfreton i presume we will fill up just before the fiddle and hopefully get a coffee stop for breaky or summat and then theres the what time do you think we will be leaving alfreton

930 um think not normally say about 945 or even 10 its just one of those life things

and after watching 2 films called final destination and its sequel i aint flying again or climbing down escape ladders

i was on a very similar route to this last week in derbyshire and there was a bitch hidden in a little village wiv his camera van i didnt see him but my brother and my mates did we were doing 25 30 so were ok but watch out there rife around there so vilages is a deffinate limit and "KEEP TO"

as for the route im not too sure of it( the one were going on ) but i know chesterfield to manchester like the back of my hand tideswell moor etc

so whoever posted the the route maybe the best for it i know i ride like a man possessed with some of my mates but derby shire isnt the place for it and whoever follows me be carful as i normally trot a heart thumper going to hot somtimes ( im telling you this so you dont think he`s ok so i am ) your not
if im a little to hot by the time you realize you will be a lot hot so just remember

as for speed cameras in our group a patting on the head = coppers

a camera = arm pointing direction of same moving arm in and out

i hope the weather isnt too good as last week was a pain in the butt it took 10 minutes to do 2 miles at one point on a 50mph

there were lots of pushbikes and mountain bikers and they need as much if not more room than us going up hills so becareful

if they are in front give em space and get past

check your mirrors on junctions and always see the rider behind you make the junction if he doesnt hang up and wait for them they will then wait for there rear and so on if one of our lot flag you on by all means go up front more

personally i like to stay in the formation that we set out in that way doing the lifesavers so your mate doesnt take your head of as they are stretching there legs but if i flag you on there is a reason for it so go past

my bro doesnt like middle of pack ish so he will probably bring up the rear but he wont know the route either so the junction hangback or a tail end charlie whos knows the route would be a good idea
Old 11-06-04, 06:17 PM   #10
adey

i havn'e got a clue where i am going so i will be quite happy in the middle somewhere we can probably sort it out sunday morning