SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-09-04, 10:26 PM   #1
SV_Rider087

Default Pulling wheelies and bike wear

I was planning on starting to learn to pull wheelies and was wondering just how hard its going to be on my bike. I realize that its hard on them but just wondering if anyone has had any massive wear or failure from it. Or how long it took before developing a problem. Thanks in advance.
Old 21-09-04, 11:06 PM   #2
Wiltshire7

i wouldnt even think about wheelies after seeing some of the vids ive seen....

sure u wanna risk it?
Old 21-09-04, 11:08 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

if you do it all the time, oil starvation's likely to become an issue over time and you'll start to wear your big end bearings, so I'm told

SVRider guys seem to always be wearing them out, I wonder if they're all riding with 0W40 oil or something sometimes... But then, to hear some folks on there talk, they wheelie to work, wheelie back, and then wheelie down the shops for a pint of milk... you're not a man on SV Rider till you've blown up an SV

And your head bearing won't like the beating it takes on landings either. It's harder on your drivetrain too, dumping that much power through it in a hurry. But it's not going to suddenly go wrong if you pull a few power wheelies, head bearings and drivetrain will take a small hit every time but they should be good for loads...

Or at least, this is what I've heard, personally i can only do crap wheelies so I'll probably not do any of that damage in a hundred years
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-04, 12:46 PM   #4
KrZ

dont do it on your own bike, there are some wheelie schools out there where they have safty switchs to avoid you flipping the bike (around £150). plus wheelies damages your bike..
Old 22-09-04, 01:44 PM   #5
weegaz22

not to mention that if you come down with a big enough thud you can blow yours fork seals or worse oval or even snap the headstock, theres a video on the net somewhere of this happening, if you want to learn to wheelie & stoppie buy a cheap bike that you wont mind wrecking
Old 22-09-04, 02:40 PM   #6
Flamin_Squirrel

I've seen a vid of someones slipon can falling off after a stopie
Old 22-09-04, 03:20 PM   #7
davyf

Tyres are the biggest problem I used to use BT56ss but wheelies really ripped them up so I went to BT56 better then BT57 & BT020's as the harder tyres take it a lot better so if you like the super sticky tyres keep the amount of wheelies down. Chains sprockets take a bit of a hammering I use bandit ones DID gold x ring 530 chain lasted around 10k miles 22k miles still same cush drives. The front takes a bit too at first but once you get used to the vicious engine braking of a V twin it gets easier on the front. The engine is no good for prolonged wheelies due to the crap oil delivery system, but hell who wheelies for more than a mile any way. For the average bike in terms of use it will not be a real problem I mean I last changed the chain 3 year ago. I have had the engine in a bucket (not wheelie related) the gear train etc. was all fine. I would not change how I used my bike 1000's of wheelies. You pays your money & makes you choice anyway the smiles make up for that little bit extra as the bikes primarily for fun these days. Just be careful, dont rush it & one step at a time.
Old 22-09-04, 03:22 PM   #8
CarlSV650

If wheelies don`t come naturally to ya, then don`t force the issue. On of my mates I do track days with is crap at wheelies, however he still thrashes round in the fast group with us.

Just get out and ride, it the first two gears the 650 will wheelie on full full throttle over bumps in the road.

Practice on an off road bike or try a wheelie school.

Or come to Cadwell, it`s impossibe to do a quick lap without wheelying over the mountain!!

Cheers.
Old 22-09-04, 05:00 PM   #9
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrZ
dont do it on your own bike, there are some wheelie schools out there where they have safty switchs to avoid you flipping the bike (around £150). plus wheelies damages your bike..
yeah, before you start getting your wheel high and dry ,
check out some vids floating about on the net

dont even think about popping one in traffic either
Old 22-09-04, 06:02 PM   #10
Gforceuk

dont see the point in it myself. open yourself up for an accident at the worst and never mind the fact if your seen then points for dangerous/wreckless riding .