SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-10-04, 06:27 PM   #1
Peter Henry

Default Does what it says on the tin?

Guys and gals now time to open what has every chance of being a most contentious topic!
Taking in to account that there are many different sizes and shape of rider and riding styles and degrees of experience. Also baring in mind that we all have our own requirements from a machine,i.e there are those who will purely buy a bike on it's looks and suffer any downsides willingly.

Getting to the point .....what bikes past or present would you say simply "this is it!" no instant requirement to personalise and upgrade? The damn thing does exactly what you wanted and expected with no excuses fresh out of the crate?
Of course there are no right or wrong answers to this, but the results should prove enlightening to us all. As for me? I don't have a clue!
Old 25-10-04, 07:08 PM   #2
chazzyb

Cor difficult one, that! I haven't seen *any* modern bikes that would do it for me. However, there are a few older (mainly Brit) bikes, from the late 60's, early 70's that would have. Fortunately, none of them were complete lemons (though what does it matter - I never really got the chance). But... Rickman Interceptor, Interstate Commando, T150 (with home market tank), T160, X75 Hurricane, flat track-style Bonneville with export shape tank and 2-1 exhaust, OIF Lightning (contentious that), early K series CB750 (I did have one and still think they look great), Z1, any of the 3 pot Laverdas, Matchless G80CS or AJS 18CS in street-scrambler trim. That's just for starters.
Old 25-10-04, 07:14 PM   #3
wigan650s

at the moment none in the future the new triumph sprint st is looking promising it all depends how sporty it turns out to be,bear in mind i'm very fussy though and i want full sports handling combined with comfort for long distances and ease and comfort for pillions...hmmm maybe i should get 2 bikes
Old 25-10-04, 07:41 PM   #4
Iansv

TL1000
Old 25-10-04, 08:36 PM   #5
OldBoy

Fancied a Thruxton Velo years ago
http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20...te%20Thrux.jpg

As wigan650s says
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigan650s
at the moment none in the future the new triumph sprint st is looking promising it all depends how sporty it turns out to be,bear in mind i'm very fussy though and i want full sports handling combined with comfort for long distances and ease and comfort for pillions...hmmm maybe i should get 2 bikes
I think you have to make a compromise.
Did consider a Honda Deauville, good weather protection and a decent pillion perch, shaft drive etc.
But the thing wieghs about 213kg with only some 50hp and expensive to buy.
Practical but dull.
Old 25-10-04, 09:06 PM   #6
DeeJay

honda c90
Old 25-10-04, 09:17 PM   #7
Stig

YZF 750 R
125.00 HP (91.2 kW)) @ 12000 RPM
80.40 Nm (8.2 kgf-m or 59.3 ft.lbs) @ 9500 RPM

Old 25-10-04, 09:33 PM   #8
ArtyLady

T140 Triumph Bonneville - american spec (with mag wheels)
Old 25-10-04, 11:01 PM   #9
timwilky
Mega Poster

I must be sick cos for years a munch mammoth appealed to me until the day I realised that I was not into beards or laderhosen

Now I just want something that will caress me and make me think of nice thinks. I just want the ride of my life.

Oh umm, tea and toast for supper again darling?
Old 25-10-04, 11:14 PM   #10
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe
YZF 750 R
125.00 HP (91.2 kW)) @ 12000 RPM
80.40 Nm (8.2 kgf-m or 59.3 ft.lbs) @ 9500 RPM

Is that you Simon?