SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-10-04, 03:26 PM   #1
jonc

Default lowering footpegs?

Hello

Does anybody know if it is possible to lower the footpegs on an sv650s (k3)? I find that on anything longer than a very short ride my knees are getting quite uncomfortable due to the riding position. Any ideas on a solution (other than buying a new bike)?

Thanks

Jon
Old 26-10-04, 03:29 PM   #2
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Adjustable rearsets! This is an expensive option though.

I have seen some plates that bolt between the footrest brackets and the frame on eBay before. I have no idea where these are from though.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-04, 03:32 PM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

You can get kits to raise the pegs like this - so it might be possible to turn them upside down to lower them. Although as standard I belive its perfectly possible to deck the pegs, so lowering them might be a bad idea
Old 26-10-04, 03:37 PM   #4
Grinch

Most of the stuff I've seen is to rise the foot plates, of which the are a few on this site;

http://www.performancemotorcycleparts.com/ under ACCESSORIES

The other option would be a jack up plates as this allow you to raise the rear of your bike. This quickens the steeering response by putting more weight on the front wheel, thereby improving turn-in. If thats what your looking for 2.
They are in the same section.

You'll probally find that if you lower them to much then you'll end up grounding them out.
Old 26-10-04, 03:59 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Have a look at a naked, see if the pegs are a little lower, as I remember the plates are different, if so that would be the easiest way.
Failing that if you have a Buell dealer nearby you could buy a pair of the footrests fitted to some of those models, (just the peg), as they have a offset of about an inch, the peg is 'L' shaped, with the mounting clevis about an inch above the footrest top surface.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-04, 03:27 AM   #6
mastrind

I bought a set for about $25 US that are the ones on ebay as rear set jack up plates. I turned them upside down and they work great.

See pics here.
Old 27-10-04, 07:31 AM   #7
jonc

Thanks for all the advice

Its looking like upside down jack-up plates will be the way to go - a tried and tested method

I'm off to check ebay for a set now.

Thanks

Jon
Old 28-10-04, 03:19 PM   #8
Stan the Man

Default Rear Suspension Jack Up Plates

Anybody tried these on a 650s K3?
I would like more leg room, but I don't want to end up getting back ache and putting more weight on my wrists because I've jacked the back up.
Someone previously mentioned that the K4 was better - The K4 footrest bracket looks different - perhaps changing to K4 brackets is the answer?
Old 28-10-04, 03:20 PM   #9
Itching 2 go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Have a look at a naked, see if the pegs are a little lower, as I remember the plates are different, if so that would be the easiest way.
Failing that if you have a Buell dealer nearby you could buy a pair of the footrests fitted to some of those models, (just the peg), as they have a offset of about an inch, the peg is 'L' shaped, with the mounting clevis about an inch above the footrest top surface.
yes the naked pegs are lower
Old 28-10-04, 03:25 PM   #10
Stan the Man

Quote:
I bought a set for about $25 US that are the ones on ebay as rear set jack up plates. I turned them upside down and they work great.
That return spring looks a little stretched, but other wise they look okay. Not much chance of me grounding my footpegs anyway!