SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-11-04, 06:01 PM   #1
Wiltshire7

Default explain pls

Hi

Ive seen this mentined a few times so please explain...
'the forks pit'

also, which im asking
radial brakes
tank slapper

erm, i think thats it for now

if anyone else can think of anything they wanna ask, do it here. im sure u wont be the only one wondering what the hell people r on about.
Old 15-11-04, 06:14 PM   #2
Jabba

Default Re: explain pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiltshire7
Hi

Ive seen this mentined a few times so please explain...
'the forks pit'
It means "corrode", but because of what they're made out of, they don't "rust" like steel does, i.e. the oxide isn't a very different colour to the metal itself. It look bad if the forks are lacquered.

Quote:
also, which im asking
radial brakes
It's to do with the way that the brake calipers are mount of the fork leg and thre "radial" bit means that the pistons are the same distance from the hub. this is not (necessarily) the case with conventional calipers. There is less caliper/pad movement under braking and the system is therefore more efficient meaning that smaller disks can be used.

Quote:
tank slapper
I was going to say "ask jonboy"

Basically, it's when the bars move rapidly from lock-stop to lock-stop with great force. Very frightening if it happens and difficult to control. Caused by quite a few things and some bikes are more susceptible than others.
Old 15-11-04, 06:32 PM   #3
Peter Henry

Well mate I do not profess to be any kind of expert but I can help a little with those.
Ok "forks pit" this is the term used for small corroded spots in the metal of the fork sliders, the pitting is deeper than the chrome finish. Main problem with the pitting,(apart from the annoying look it give to the forks) is that they present a rough surface which will before long damage the fork seals.

Tank slapper is the name given to a violent shaking of the steering equipment of the bike the term comes from the thought of the bars hitting the tank as the front head shkes it's head violently in both directions. Obviously in theory this will not happen due to the "stop" which limits the turn either way of the bars but the intimation is clear.
Tank slappers are something that is very hard to legislate or prepare for...they sort of just jump up at you. Occasions when they can happen are for example hardacceleration over rough surface or hitting a bump or other object on the road. Going to fast over a bridge can induce the same if there is a slight lifting of the front end before landing. popping wheelies can also induce them if the front wheel does not get to terra firma straight.
The steering rake angle can also be a major factor int his, with some bikes being more prone to head shaking under acceleration than others.I am sure some of the guys can offer more examples.

On radial brakes... not anything like an expert here I am afraid, but generally you get more even application of the pads to the disc on braking. The braking is said to be more powerfull and consistant than other systems. Indeed you can apply a whole load of braking power with relatively minimal lever pressure which otherwise would require a whole fist full. Not text book stuff there but I am sure you get the idea. The boys will give you the more definitive versions of the above!
Old 15-11-04, 07:37 PM   #4
Wiltshire7

cheers lads.

how can some brakes be better? i mean the sv's brakes r strong enough to lock the wheel, how can the brakes be stronger than that? can be of any use?

Also, heres another one: slipper clutch?
Old 15-11-04, 07:58 PM   #5
Warren

rather than our standard clutches which we have.
standard- when you drop a gear - as you dump it , the revs will raise bringing the needle close to the redline - doing your engine some damage.

a slipper clutch will allow you to drop to any gear you like - dumping the clutch will cause it to slip - therefore not causing as much engine wear and rear wheel spin.

a slipper clutch are mainly a performance mod - for track racers and rich street bikers
Old 15-11-04, 07:59 PM   #6
Wiltshire7

sounds like a safe mod to me
Old 15-11-04, 09:49 PM   #7
Jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikageboy
rather than our standard clutches which we have.
standard- when you drop a gear - as you dump it , the revs will raise bringing the needle close to the redline - doing your engine some damage.

a slipper clutch will allow you to drop to any gear you like - dumping the clutch will cause it to slip - therefore not causing as much engine wear and rear wheel spin.

a slipper clutch are mainly a performance mod - for track racers and rich street bikers
On that note, dry and wet clutch?!
Old 15-11-04, 10:32 PM   #8
Warren

a dry clutch is what most cars use - they are separate from the oil - they are like 2 plates
where as a wet clutch shares the same oil from the engine and works immersed in oil using teeth.
im not sure if this is correct BTW just hazarding a guess
Old 15-11-04, 10:53 PM   #9
Jp

Mystery solved for me, makes sense aswell, so is that why slipping your clutch on a car wears it down alot, but doing it on a bike doesnt really matter?
Old 15-11-04, 11:00 PM   #10
Warren

dunno bout that.
i HAVE to slip it on the CBR
in 1st gear , it idles at 15mph, if you wanna go slower than that - you gotta slip it.