SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-01-05, 09:27 AM   #1
benny

Default top boxes

hi, I'm looking for a top box for my sv650s (k4), but really hate it when there are tons of supports/bars etc bolted on to the bike. Does anyone know of a good system that has a plate for the box to be attached to but does not require huge amounts of kit to connect it to the bike? basically i want something unobtrusive but effective. Tried numerous shops/mags but no joy, so thought I'd try to get some opinions from other owners.

If anyone wants to email me, it's bls75_5@hotmail.com
Old 15-01-05, 10:15 AM   #2
Cronos

The cleanest solution I've seen is the official Suzuki Top Case and Mounting Plate which uses the pillion seat postion for the top box.

Not sure how easy it is to switch between mounting plate and pillion seat, but on the face of it this is a totally removable solution whne you're not using the top box.

Best person to speak to about top boxes is jonboy. Drop him a PM, he's the forum's resident expert.
Old 15-01-05, 10:27 AM   #3
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronos
Best person to speak to about top boxes is jonboy. Drop him a PM, he's the forum's resident expert.
Old 15-01-05, 10:42 AM   #4
BURNER

I agree Jonboy has a wealth of knowledge.
Old 15-01-05, 11:20 AM   #5
Carsick

Definitely get Jonboy's opinion on the matter as well.

The suzuki one is unobtrusive in looks, but you lose your pillion seat.

The next best is probably a nonfango rack and box or you could get something like a renntec sports rack (which usually replaces the grabrail) and then bolt a box to that. You won't be able to carry as much weight with the renntec solution, but it'd work and not involve many bars.
Old 15-01-05, 04:55 PM   #6
jonboy

Having received an innocent request (via email) from Benny about help with t*pboxes, I have made a note of all those that have colluded to deceive the poor chap and a suitable revenge will be exacted at a later date .

Old 15-01-05, 04:58 PM   #7
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Having received an innocent request (via email) from Benny about help with t*pboxes, I have made a note of all those that have colluded to deceive the poor chap and a suitable revenge will be exacted at a later date
Old 15-01-05, 05:06 PM   #8
benny

jonboy was great and suggested 7 different types (he also suggested a couple of things about cronos)
Old 15-01-05, 06:39 PM   #9
Ken McCulloch

Topboxes are as any fule kno a work of Satan. As one of his little helpers I just happen to have a Givi Monorack to suit your SV for sale, Benny. These are really fairly unobtrusive, an arm along each side from the rear footpeg hanger bolt with a suspension bracket that rests over the original grab handle. You could alway spary the arms to match your bike, but indeed with a K4 the original black would match the frame.
Old 15-01-05, 06:45 PM   #10
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McCulloch
Topboxes are as any fule kno a work of Satan.
Hello clouds, hello sky - someone else who read Molesworth!