SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-02-05, 12:42 PM   #1
Tris

Default Our roads are .....

CR*p!!!

Went the long way round yesterday and ended up going through Worksop town center.

There is a sharp 90 degree turn right in the middle of town. Diagonally across this there are three manholes joined together, all worn silky smooth.

Being new to this riding lark it made me think that in a car I wouldn't have even considered it. On a bike it's an accident waiting to happen as you can't avoid them at all.

Tris

PS
The A57 Snake Pass has some holes in it 2" deep. Perhaps this is a subtle ploy to stop us hvin fun!
Old 14-02-05, 12:51 PM   #2
Carsick

It's a bugger, isn't it.
There's a website somewhere for reporting problems with roads.
Old 14-02-05, 12:58 PM   #3
jonboy

The UK roads are dreadful, just expect them to be so and you'll find that it's easier to mentally cope with . It does however mean that your observational powers have to be super good (as I most certainly have found out ).

Old 14-02-05, 01:12 PM   #4
mysteryjimbo

At this time of year its generally worse due to the changes in temperature and ice making cracks/holes bigger. Roads around here are generally not too bad though.

You'll find quite a few holes vanish when it comes to the end of the tax year. Councils like to spend all of their budget then so it doesnt get reduced.
Old 14-02-05, 01:51 PM   #5
Amanda M

Default Re: Our roads are .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
The A57 Snake Pass has some holes in it 2" deep. Perhaps this is a subtle ploy to stop us hvin fun!
My favourite road
Old 14-02-05, 01:54 PM   #6
Grinch

You want to drive around Portsmouth, gee.. you'd think the council has no money the state of the roads round there. I rode down one and thought I was on a bouncy castle.
Old 14-02-05, 02:22 PM   #7
Carsick

Southampton is a bit like that in places.
Old 14-02-05, 04:40 PM   #8
Han

In the middle of Devon they're like that. The good thing is that you can't see how bad they are due to the covering of wet mud and slurry
Old 14-02-05, 04:45 PM   #9
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsick
It's a bugger, isn't it.
There's a website somewhere for reporting problems with roads.
You can do it via the BMF webiste , look under campaings and road safety.

I had to report something a while back and it took bloody ages and lots of phoning about to get the right person, then whilest at the bike shoew at Ally pally i came accross the bmf stand and got chatting about the above.
They seemed really keen that more bikers get involved in reporting bad roads cos cagers dont give a damn really do they?
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-05, 08:48 PM   #10
Stig

What really annoys me is that the solution to this problem is so simple. All they have to do is have the drain cover recessed and fill it with a thin layer of tarmac. I've seen them before and thought that it was a smart, simple and logical thing to do.