SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-03-05, 09:34 AM   #1
Yams

Default Another dumb n00bie question - that fuel light!!

Sorry for another n00bie question, my SV manual is at home.. I'm at work.. so can't check it

Erm, how does this fuel light/reserve system work?

The fuel light is currently flashing at me wildly telling me to fill up but I'm saying fook off I've only done 106 miles since filling up, but now I'm wondering.. just how many miles to reserve? And how many miles to a tank? I was told 150 odd?? but I've got this light flashing at me at 106 miles already.. does reserve have another 30 miles to go?

Thanks!
Old 22-03-05, 09:54 AM   #2
mattSV
Mega Poster

I used to regularly get at least 120 from a tank before the light came on, and would then get another 20 miles before I would fill it up - I never let it get too low to avoid sucking up any crap that might be in the bottom of the tank .

There is no 'reserve as such' - the fuel light flashes to let you know it is getting low, it is up to you when you fill it up again!

The only way to find out how far you can get will be to let it run out (suggest strapping a fuel can to the back first )

Good luck!
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-05, 10:05 AM   #3
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV
I used to regularly get at least 120 from a tank before the light came on, and would then get another 20 miles before I would fill it up - I never let it get too low to avoid sucking up any crap that might be in the bottom of the tank .
Fuel consumption on the SV varies massively depending on how you ride-when riding steadily, in a high gear and not revving the nuts of it, I've had 140ish before the fuel light came on.

Other times, ragging it like a loon, I've had the fuel light come on at only 100 miles. I've never run it dry, but I've done 30-odd miles (very sensible speeds) but I'd not push it further.

Running it dry becomes more of a problem as the bike gets older, generally the older the vehicle, the more crap in the tank, so the sooner you should refuel it. My car is 12 years old and when I ran that near empty, I had all sorts of problem with it for weeks afterwards, so now I try to keep it at 1/4 tank minimum.
Old 22-03-05, 10:11 AM   #4
Yams

I think I should ease up on the revs a bit Might get more to a tank
Old 22-03-05, 11:10 AM   #5
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Also, if you fill the bike up on the sidestand, you will not 100% fill the tank. If you brim it and wait a few seconds, you will see it drain down a bit. You may just find you are not filling it right up.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-05, 11:18 AM   #6
Yams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
Also, if you fill the bike up on the sidestand, you will not 100% fill the tank. If you brim it and wait a few seconds, you will see it drain down a bit. You may just find you are not filling it right up.
I tend to be sat on the bike when filling up, so bike is upright.

I got £10 exactly until it was full on Sunday. I was on reserve, but only about 5 miles onto it so no idea how much fuel was still left in the tank, but £10 filled it to full.
Old 22-03-05, 11:21 AM   #7
trailer_parks

I get around 160 before the light comes on, and I fill it to the bottom of the filler neck whilest sitting on the bike. I'm commuting...
Old 22-03-05, 11:30 AM   #8
diamond

I got a telling off for sitting on the bike whilst filling up in the texaco garage by me last week. He said it was illegal, and i should put it on the centre stand if i wanted the bike up right. I then used a few choice words to point out there was no centre stand.
Old 22-03-05, 11:34 AM   #9
Yams

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer_parks
I get around 160 before the light comes on, and I fill it to the bottom of the filler neck whilest sitting on the bike. I'm commuting...

Hmm I think I really need to ride around everywhere in 6th!

I have a feeling my bike is running a bit rich, I need to get it on a dyno for a proper set up soon, might sort the fuel consumption a bit as I definetly reckon it's a bit lower than the average range.
Old 22-03-05, 11:46 AM   #10
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
I tend to be sat on the bike when filling up, so bike is upright.

I got £10 exactly until it was full on Sunday. I was on reserve, but only about 5 miles onto it so no idea how much fuel was still left in the tank, but £10 filled it to full.
I can squeeze in about £11.50 in. This is with about 5 - 10 miles into reserve.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote