SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-04-05, 11:06 AM   #1
thor

Default Running in a new SV

Hopefully I will have an SV on saturday that has only done 135 miles. How should I run it in? I've tried looking for a previous thread on this but couldn't find it.

The things sounds like it's been standing around for a bit. What should I make sure of before setting off?

Thanks,

John
Old 14-04-05, 11:59 AM   #2
Clunk

The main thing would be to check the brakes work , tyre pressure, fluid levels.

How long has it been standing?

Mine was standing for 12 months before I bought it and didn't need anything doing to it.

If you're concerned about it put 500 miles on it and get it booked into a dealer for its first service.

Dont know what the running in revs are, should be in the owners handbook.
Old 14-04-05, 12:24 PM   #3
thor

Doh! Why didn't I think of that obvious answer?
Old 15-04-05, 09:42 AM   #4
Cloggsy

It's no more than 5000RPM for the first 600 miles, then get it serviced
Old 15-04-05, 04:00 PM   #5
philc2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggsy
It's no more than 5000RPM for the first 600 miles, then get it serviced
...then steady away until 1000 miles, then you can do what you like (within reason). You might find that the engine's a bit rough if it's been standing for a while - that'll be the petrol going off (happens after 3 months or so when it reacts with oxygen). The next tank of petrol should sort it out.
Old 16-04-05, 01:08 PM   #6
merlot

The run in period (or break in period as we call it in the US) according to the manual of my '03 SV650 is <5K rpm's for 600 miles, then <7.5K until 1000 miles.
Old 18-04-05, 06:21 AM   #7
thor

Man, keeping it under 5k is hard! Top speed - 65mph!!!

Oh well, I guess it's good to get the feel of the bike. It's certainly sharpening my gear changing, that's for sure.
Old 18-04-05, 08:43 AM   #8
quikstu

On the day I picked my bike up I was told to keep it to a maximum of 5000rpm until I got the 600mile service done.

After the first service I was told to increase the revs by 1000, for every 100miles I put on the bike although the odd time it would be okay to exceed the max when overtaking.

But if you are new to biking or a V-twin, sticking to the advice maybe beneficial til you are used to the bikes capabilities.

Have fun, ride safe.
Old 18-04-05, 08:56 AM   #9
thor

Yeah I guess it's a good idea. I'm getting used to the breaking too.

The trickiest bit is the down shifting. I find selecting the right gear for corners quite hard. Firstly, I don't always have a good idea what gear is appropriate, and second, I sometimes forget what gear I am in!
Old 18-04-05, 09:03 AM   #10
will

others may disagree, but i tend to use whichever gear puts around 5000/6000 revs on the clock for corners. gives you the opportunity to back off the revs and slow down quickly without using the brakes mid bend if something unexpected happens, and you are right in the power band to wind it up as you come out of the corner.

glad you FINALLY got the bike thor! enjoy, and see you in frith street one day?

oops. have just re-read the whole thread and now realise you are running in so my suggestion is really only valid once you're run in.