SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-04-05, 10:49 PM   #1
Damoulianos Marios

Default Fitted cartridge emulators. Here's the verdict...

Here's how the story begins... my typical "sporty" route involves all kinds of turns, from 20mph hairpins to 90mph sweepers (and I mean 90mph at the apex). Previously I had a real problem with the faster turns, especially if road surface wasn't perfectly smooth. The bike shook its head and wobbled to the point of opening its line and giving a vague and insecure feeling to me.
After a bit of searching I realised that the stock SV fork is VERY low tech, perhaps to the point that an SV can hardly can be labelled a "sportsbike". Given that previous owner had already upgraded to WP springs/oils the only solution remaining seemed to be either the technically obscure upgrade to GSXR750 forks or the much-promising cartridge emulator valve upgrade.

I decided to opt for the emulators and ordered the Traxxion kit (this is more expensive than the Racetech because it comes together with rods) mostly because Racetech won't send to Europe. I installed the emulators and here's the verdict:

1. The so much disconcerning headshake on fast turns is completely gone.
2. The steering precision is much improved
3. Better sense of control, more secure feel from the front.
4. The bike has a little bit heavier feeling steering into fast corners but this is only very little and is negligible compared to the benefits.
On the whole, the bike has virtually transformed itself, I regret not soing this upgrade from the beginning.

As a final word, I recommend this upgrade to any SV rider, these little valves really do wonders. I recommend them especially to riders that push the bike and like fast turns

Visit

http://www.racetech.com
http://www.traxxion.com
Old 28-04-05, 11:00 PM   #2
BillyC
Mega Poster

VERY interesting!

Did you take any pictures? Can you describe the method you used? How long did it take? How much were they? Did you do this as well as a spring modification?

oh... and how much???

Thanks
Old 28-04-05, 11:12 PM   #3
Damoulianos Marios

The full kit (rods and emulators) costs 250$. Take this to 270$ including S/H.

The mod requires you nothing less than to take apart the whole front. You need to replace the damper rods, which unfortunately sit on the bottom of the forks. I wouldn't be afraid to do the job myself, had I had the means to securely hold the bike upright while the forks were removed.
So I was forced to ask my mechanic to do the job and he asked for 70E which is about 45 Pounds. To me the cost is negligible. I was actually thinking of binning (well, selling ) the SV as these handling problems started to get on my nerves, more so than my mate (with a Ducati Monster 620) started to get the edge over me on bumpy turns. Now his grin is gone... he he he he....
Old 28-04-05, 11:16 PM   #4
Damoulianos Marios

Oh srry, I forgot: The previous owner had installed progressive WP springs, which as the Traxxion guy stated ISN"T the best solution. However as the stock springs were gone I didn't want to give another 100E for springs, which to be honest I think they aren't needed.

Doing the Traxxion mod instead of the Racetech has another benefit: Traxxion give you both valves and rods which means that you can go back to the stock system whenever you like. Putting the racetech valves requires that you drill extra holes to the stock rods which means that they are crap used without any valves, so you can't go back. Racetech and Traxxion valves are the same (this seems a bit strange to me but what the hell...)
Old 28-04-05, 11:54 PM   #5
Mike1234

You can get most RaceTech bits through PDQ in Slough if you need them.

www.pdq1.com I think.
Old 29-04-05, 08:09 AM   #6
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234

www.pdq1.com I think.
Yep, they seem to carry these (scroll down the page a bit):
http://www.pdq1.com/racetech.htm looks like you'd need to ring for the prices though.

Thanks for the info Damoulianos, very interesting.
Old 29-04-05, 08:29 AM   #7
Itching 2 go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234

www.pdq1.com I think.
Yep, they seem to carry these (scroll down the page a bit):
http://www.pdq1.com/racetech.htm looks like you'd need to ring for the prices though.

Thanks for the info Damoulianos, very interesting.
Indeed they do, we have an account with them and I have used the racetech products on 2 of my bikes thus far. strongly recomend them.
Old 29-04-05, 09:32 PM   #8
madEG

Default Re: Fitted cartridge emulators. Here's the verdict...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoulianos Marios
I decided to opt for the emulators and ordered the Traxxion kit
Are they (somehow) externally adjustable? Or do you have to remove them to adjust the comp/reb damping? This is the only thing holding me back from this mod...
madEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-05, 05:07 PM   #9
Damoulianos Marios

There is no external adjustability. Do NOT be put off by this. The improvement is such that difficult adjustability will be almost forgotten after your first ride. I have started to sound like an advertisement but what I say is true, at last I have fallen in love with my bike...
Old 30-04-05, 07:19 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

Plus they're so well tried and tested now that they provide really good setup directions... Most folk are totally happy with the recommended settings.

Oh yeah, one thing is that apparently the Racetech installation directions are really badly flawed in one part, I forget why... The Traxxion ones use a different emulator and different fitting directions.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote