SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-05-05, 08:31 PM   #1
matt d

Default need to de-restrict sv650 k3

I have just bought an sv650 and it is restricted, anyone know how to de-restrict it. feels like a mechanical stop somewhere on the throttle linkage, I only have an 1/8 turn on the throttle.
Old 16-05-05, 08:35 PM   #2
Couerdelion

It's done via the ecu on the newer models or with washers in the classic shape.
Old 16-05-05, 08:36 PM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

Are you sure it's mechanicaly restricted?

K3 SVs and onwards tend to be restricted electronicaly - de-restrict by changing the ECU. If this is how it's restricted, you should have gotten it with the bike.
Old 16-05-05, 08:48 PM   #4
matt d

Default de-restrict SV

Cheers

I am assuming its mechanical but it's strange that the throttle on mine only turns a little way and you can hear a clonk at the linkage making me think it is mechanical
I take it I can just purchase an ECU from a suzuki dealer?? Do you know how much they are likely to be??
Old 16-05-05, 10:13 PM   #5
Couerdelion

If the bike was bought de-restricted it should have been supplied with the original ecu too.

If not they come up on ebay quite often, IIRC one failed to sell earlier today for about £25.
Old 16-05-05, 10:58 PM   #6
Jp

Default Re: de-restrict SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt d
Cheers

I am assuming its mechanical but it's strange that the throttle on mine only turns a little way and you can hear a clonk at the linkage making me think it is mechanical
I take it I can just purchase an ECU from a suzuki dealer?? Do you know how much they are likely to be??
Well a restrcited bike wont have anything to do with the way the throttle works, just at how much Fuel/Air mixture is supplied to the engine.

My restrcited SV tends to stop pulling alot earlier than unrestricted.

Maybe your problem is bieng caused by something else?
Old 17-05-05, 08:36 AM   #7
markfc

an unrestricted ecu is about £350 according to my dealer.
Old 17-05-05, 08:50 AM   #8
Kate

Default Re: de-restrict SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt d
That really doesn't sound like its been restricted, K3s are restricted by swopping in a ECU that reduces the amount of power but doesn't do anything to the throttle?

How do you know its restricted? It sounds kinda worrying to me
Old 17-05-05, 02:15 PM   #9
dclifford

Don't believe everything you are told they are only telling you part of the story. K3 upwards can be resticted by mechanical means. I know because mine was.
It is easy to remove the mechanical restiction(assumbing that you know how to lift up the tank and remove the airbox).
There are 2 large washers between the top of the carbs and bottom of the airbox. There is also a stop in place on the throttle body, it stops the throttle from opening fully. This is to stop the bike from running too rich while the washers are in place. It is easy to remove once you have located it.
Any questions just ask.
Old 17-05-05, 02:34 PM   #10
thor

I thought K3 upwards were fuel injected rather than carbed?