SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-05-05, 04:47 PM   #1
ujoni08

Default Where are bikes allowed to park?

I am a newbie, and saw the thread about parking tickets. I just wondered, is there a website that gives clear information about where bikes can park? I know there are dedicated parking spaces in town, but can a bike park in, say, a car parking space, or at the end of a row of parked cars, without being on the yellow line, etc? What about a pedestrianised, paved area of the high street, without blocking access? Where else do seasoned bikers park without breaking the law?
Jon.
Old 17-05-05, 04:49 PM   #2
Carsick

technically there isn't any difference between a car and a bike for parking purposes, except for motorcycle only bays.
You even have to buy tickets if you park in a space requiring them.
Old 17-05-05, 05:00 PM   #3
hall13uk

we bikers are a public nusience so we are not allowed to park anywhere.
well that what it feels like anyway
Old 17-05-05, 05:04 PM   #4
Couerdelion

Yeah that's one thing that isn't quite right.

I pay in a pay and display place, buy a ticket and then how exactly do I secure it to my windscreen so some scrote can't just walk off with it and put it in his car?
Old 17-05-05, 05:13 PM   #5
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couerdelion
I pay in a pay and display place, buy a ticket and then how exactly do I secure it to my windscreen so some scrote can't just walk off with it and put it in his car?
In Cardiff, we can park in the on-street voucher-parking areas for free as the Wardens accept that we have noway to Pay and Display.

Have to pay in the NCPs, though.
Old 17-05-05, 05:17 PM   #6
hall13uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couerdelion
Yeah that's one thing that isn't quite right.

nothing you can do really same problem around by me i just buy a ticket & take it with me so if for any reason i get clamped or something (can u clamp a bike) i can prove i have payed
Old 17-05-05, 06:26 PM   #7
creamerybutter

It seems to depend on the traffic warden in some cases, I used to park on the pavement on one place and dozens of police and traffic wardens didn't mind as it wasn't blocking the path one day I came back to my Bike and a jobs worth was about to give me a ticket as apparently it was 'dangerously parked'.

The bay outside J&S is a pay and display but the traffic warden just game into the shop and got us to buy tickets rather than fine us.
Old 17-05-05, 07:51 PM   #8
Godikus

You could park anywhere you want. just put a black bag round your reg plate and keep your tax disk in your pocket. they can't take the bag off, and they can't see your tax disk. they can't write out a ticket.
Old 17-05-05, 08:04 PM   #9
Italianjob

Here in Edinburgh you can usually get away with parking it on the pavement as long as it doesn't create a hazard for pedestrians or an obstruction for wheelchairs, prams...

It really is quite random and depends on the discretion of the traffic warden. 9/10 times you'll be fine but then you get an **** that gives you a ticket. I think it's also up to you: if you park on a pavement that's only 1.5m wide you're asking for trouble . But the whole issue is a gray area and you will not get two traffic wardens that give you the same answer.
Old 17-05-05, 08:15 PM   #10
SpankyHam

How does it work at the airport ? (Stansted)

I haven't seen any special "Bike *Car*park" there... ?