SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-07-05, 09:23 PM   #1
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Default HOW-TO De-restrict SV650 carb bikes with Suzuki kit

I am going to best explain how i have de-restricted my bike which was fitted with a genuine Suzuki restriction kit.

WARNING - This is only for people that hold an unrestricted licence, if not you will be breaking the law.

Also this has been done to the best of my knowledge, whatever you do to your bike is your responsibility and if you are in any doubt with these instructions do not carry out the procedure.
PS. To the gurus, if there is any gaping problems with this please tell me so i can ammend the instructions.

Step 1 - Airbox removal
Remove front seat, remove two bolts at the headstock that hold the fuel tank down, prop tank up with tool provided under rear seat, exposing the air box.

Dissconnect both breather pipes from the air box, use long nose pliers to move the clips. With a firm tug of the air box, this should free the box exposing the carb below.

Step 2 - Fuel Feed & Throttle Position Sensor Disconnect & Idle Cable
I found that it was easier to remove various Fuel/Sensors/Idle Cables, so that access to the carb covers is easier. The idle adjust knob has to be uncliped from its holder on the left side of the bike.
Disconnect Fuel Feed

Disconnect Throttle Position Sensor

Step 3 - Slacken intake duct clamps / Carb removal
To gain easy access to the front & rear carb covers we need to remove the carbs from the engine intake ducts.
Rear carb - Between engine & Carb

Front carb - Between engine & Carb, Radiator needs to be moved to access clamp.

Once both the intake duct clamps have been slackened then pull the carbs up by the gold side bars and move to side.

Step 4 - (Optional) Front carb choke removal
To ease access to front carb cover i decided to remove the front carb choke plunger.

Step 5a - Part 1 of Removal of restriction kit
This section is the same for the front and rear carbs.
Be very carefull not to let any of the spring fly off in this section
Remove the two screws holding the black cover on the carbs.

On removal of the carb cover you will see the diaphragm & piston assembly, remove this carefully so not to damage.

Step 5b - Part 2 of Removal of restriction kit
Remove the Jet needle from the piston, as you look into the end of the diaphragm & piston assembly you should see a small grey retainer. Using a long nose pliers, pull and remove. (Becarefull because there is a very small spring and washer that will come out.

What the Jet needle set should look like.

Remove the diaphragm from the plastic piston, very carefully so not to damage. As you can see in the picture of the pistons without the diaphragms, the one on the top is the restrictor (with the small hole at the base) the bottom one is the original one which will give you full power.

Step 5c - Fit original kit
Put diaphragm onto original piston, noting that the diaphragm has to be the correct way arround or it will not seat into the carb correctly.
Re-assemble the Jet needle as it was removed, needle first with washer on the top then spring then retainer.

Place the assembled unit back into the carb. Note that the needle has to be aliged with the small hole on the other side of the carb inlet.

Once in place place the carb cover in place, becarefull to make sure it seats properly with the diaphragm, screw cover back on.

Step 6 - Put carb back onto engine
Follow in order Step 4 to Step 1, reversing all actions to reatach carbs to engine. Fit air box and make sure that all the breather pipes are attached correctly.

Hope fully this is usefull to people and is understandable.[/b]
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-05, 02:48 PM   #2
spudnuts

Dont suppose anyone's got a similar guide with some loverly pictures for idiots for the F1 washer kit, mine is due out in 28 days

spudnuts.
Old 22-07-05, 04:28 AM   #3
rubianderson

does this mod apply to USA sv's?
Old 22-07-05, 08:02 AM   #4
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubianderson
Do you have restricted riding licences in the USA? This is to de-restrict from 33hp to Full Power.

Ummmm. dont know.

AFAIK it is for any Suzuki SV650 carb bike (e.g. Curvey Bikes or Pre FI bikes) that has had the genuine suzuki restriction kit installed.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-05, 09:52 AM   #5
Saint Matt

Cheers for that, i might have done it, but tbh i'm happy with it as it is, still shows over a ton on the speedo! Also no worrying, as for the first time i'm completely legal on a bike! (De-restricted moped, de-restricted RS125)
Old 22-07-05, 11:11 AM   #6
rubianderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
Quote:
Do you have restricted riding licences in the USA? This is to de-restrict from 33hp to Full Power.

Ummmm. dont know.

AFAIK it is for any Suzuki SV650 carb bike (e.g. Curvey Bikes or Pre FI bikes) that has had the genuine suzuki restriction kit installed.
No, don't have restricted licenses here in states.
33 hp limit!!! How can motocycle even be fun limited like that?
I had no idea you guys had to live like that.
Sorry

Thanks for reply
Old 22-07-05, 11:15 AM   #7
Carsick

Quote:
No, don't have restricted licenses here in states.
33 hp limit!!! How can motocycle even be fun limited like that?
I had no idea you guys had to live like that.
Sorry

Thanks for reply
That's only in certain situations where due to age or confidence (or height) somebody isn't able to pass the test on a big enough bike, so have to be restricted for 2 years.
Most of us have the full kind of license.
Old 27-04-06, 09:45 AM   #8
Razor

Good article
Old 27-04-06, 10:21 AM   #9
kciN

Nice article TSM. You're fingers are very dirty, just by taking the airbox off!!

Oil change before hand was it??
Old 24-07-08, 11:35 AM   #10
ollie 28

Default Re: HOW-TO De-restrict SV650 carb bikes with Suzuki kit

hello there i tried to deristrict my bike today and realsied that i was never given the standard carb slides when i bought the kit and when the dealer fitted it. do you know of any where i can purchase the slides cheap. there 80 pounds from suzuki.
many thanks