SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-01-06, 08:10 PM   #1
zunkus

Default Help needed to Colour match the Paint

I need to colour match the spray on my '99 curvy which I found out to be
Y7E Candy Jay Blue from searching on the net.

Has anybody tried to do this job and is the paint 'CANDY' transperent colour? What if I do straight metallic paint, will it match the rest of the bike? More searching led to a company named ColorRite (www.colorrite.com) that does colour matched ready mixed paints to match numerous bikes and cars. I entered my bikes details and voula; ColorRite 4966 popped up. But is this CANDY?

Any help on the subject would be most welcome.
Old 23-01-06, 05:16 AM   #2
neuone

I had an undertail painted to match the bike. I went to a local automotive supplier that had a paint scanner. They told me (for my '03 mind you) that it was candy. They also said that that meant there were three coats to match the paint, silver metalic base, blue candy, then clear - making it really hard to match. So what they did for me was make a single coat metallic that would be "close." Well, it's VERY close. Way closer than the "color matched" undertail I ended up buying - but that's another story.

So - basicly I say, if you don't have much experience go get the paint scanned - then they can custom mix you the paint and I'm sure it'll match - my paint was $19 US for 8 oz - but to do the multicoat (candy) I would have had to buy 2 colors (candy blue and silver) so it was cheaper too.

I hope that helps a little.