SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-01-06, 06:44 PM   #1
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Sticking reg/reg?

bit of a funny one this. Most of the time my charging system all works fine- starts the bike strongly, happily runs the uprated lights and the grips, etc. But every so often I try to start the bike and it's as dead as a doornail- it gets maybe one or two puny turns then just clicks. It did it again this morning, but it was perfectly healthy last night and got the exact same ride to work and back that it has every day for months without problems. Started again after a very short charge, but was fine and strong later in the day.

The battery's old, and suspect- never did get round to changing it- but this doesn't really fit the bill for a bad battery, as far as I can tell- they tend to be more consistent, or at least more consistently erratic, while at the mo this happens maybe once every couple of months, and without any obvious rhyme to it. It can happen after an hour long thrash, or a 5-minute bimble, a night in the cold or a day in the sun. It's never happened in the wet once, funnily enough.

i've done all the usual tests as far as shorted wires, charging rates etc, and all is pretty healthy... But I remember the RAC guy who charged it last time said he suspected a stuck reg/rec- that basically, it was deciding not to charge sometimes when it should. New one by me but if it's reaslistic, it does fit the bill...

New YTZ12 high CCA Yuasa on the way, just wondering if I should chuck on my spare reg/reg first?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-06, 09:00 PM   #2
Filipe M.

Default Re: Sticking reg/reg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
...while at the mo this happens maybe once every couple of months, and without any obvious rhyme to it. It can happen after an hour long thrash, or a 5-minute bimble, a night in the cold or a day in the sun.
Mine gave up the ghost exactly like this... would work perfectly well for ages, then someday it wouldn't start the bike. Turn ignition off, turn on again, and it would work again for ages. Until the day she didn't work no more...
Old 27-01-06, 09:19 PM   #3
RandyO

it's common for the RR to work until it get warmed up, then not work

heat is the enemy of semiconductors
Old 27-01-06, 11:05 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Hmm. It's not as simple as not working while hot, since it can be absolutely fine through all sorts of riding.

I'm not sure if my spare's good. i'll charge up the spare battery and give it a crack, see if it works, then fit the new battery when it arrives. That'd make sense I think...
Old 27-01-06, 11:09 PM   #5
Diveboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe M.
Quote:
...while at the mo this happens maybe once every couple of months, and without any obvious rhyme to it. It can happen after an hour long thrash, or a 5-minute bimble, a night in the cold or a day in the sun.
Mine gave up the ghost exactly like this... would work perfectly well for ages, then someday it wouldn't start the bike. Turn ignition off, turn on again, and it would work again for ages. Until the day she didn't work no more...
Same here. ruddy things
Old 27-01-06, 11:14 PM   #6
Peter Henry

Err boys...aren't you riding the wrong Vee twin to be having electrical problems?
Old 27-01-06, 11:16 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

It's had 6 years of constant use, I can't complain... if the battery wasn't quite so knackered it'd probably have an easier time of it too Just don't feel like connecting up a brand new battery to a potentially flakey reg...
Old 27-01-06, 11:19 PM   #8
Peter Henry

Nah I agree mate,wise move that.
Old 28-01-06, 08:17 AM   #9
speedbird

why not take the battery to a garage and have them do a load test on the thing? as the regulator is a solid state item they are usally working or not as the case may be.
Old 28-01-06, 08:52 AM   #10
svrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diveboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe M.
Quote:
Same here. ruddy things
Me three