SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-02-06, 01:45 PM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Being turned towards the dark side

I have been a code cutter for over 25 years. My areas of experteese are:

Java
C
C++
PHP
PERL
Fortran
Basic
plus Oracle development tools, ie forms 2.3 - forms 6 etc
Various macro assembler environments

Operating system experience from a development target has tradionally been Linux, unix or WebSphere/tomcat etc.

now my boss has suddenly decided that after years of "We don't programme, we buy off the shelf" and sacking all programmers. I am a project manager so have stayed. That he needs a personal code cutter. Hello Tim

But his project is a yucky nasty job and he has recognised it is outside of my area of experteese so I am being booked on my first training course in about 10 years.

The darkside beckons. C# Programming for Windows Applications, followed by
SQL Server 2000 Creating Reporting Solutions using SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services.

I think after attending these I will have to start drinking lager and worship at the alter of Micro$oft. Like hell i will. I can program Fortran in any language

Does this mean I will be able to talk the same language as you pups out there.
Old 03-02-06, 01:58 PM   #2
keithd

Default Re: Being turned towards the dark side

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
blah blah blah

SWOOSH
you have just spoked foreign mr wilky.

Old 03-02-06, 02:03 PM   #3
thor

.Net is great!

No really, they have thought of everything. I've been coding VB a few years and using the framework libraries has been a breath of fresh air. I mean, who wants to write another date/time library. Just get on with application logic and forget about pointers, destructors. .Net assemblies rule too.
Old 03-02-06, 03:10 PM   #4
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
.Net is great!

No really, they have thought of everything. I've been coding VB a few years and using the framework libraries has been a breath of fresh air. I mean, who wants to write another date/time library. Just get on with application logic and forget about pointers, destructors. .Net assemblies rule too.
Everything here is developed in .Net. No complaints. plus i dont have to use it, i only do the DBA side.
Old 03-02-06, 03:13 PM   #5
Carsick

I don't do C# and it doesn't look like I'm going to need to for the foreseeable future.
Old 03-02-06, 03:20 PM   #6
thor

It's a lot easier to understand than C/C++, and the documentation is great. I wouldn't call myself a high level programmer, but it hasn't disapointed me yet. The garbage collection can be a bit strange at times, but mostly it's fine.
Old 03-02-06, 03:22 PM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsick
I don't do C# and it doesn't look like I'm going to need to for the foreseeable future.

Lucky You. Now if I could only get all my Java compiled so it ran as fast as my C stuff, I would be a very happy man and tell people where to stick their micro$oft stuff.
Old 03-02-06, 03:28 PM   #8
thor

Java is managed execution isn't it? It's not likely to run as fast as unmanaged C...
Old 03-02-06, 03:38 PM   #9
Carsick

It's possible to compile it down to machine code, but it kind've defeats the object of using java in the first place.
Old 03-02-06, 03:45 PM   #10
timwilky
Mega Poster

Java runs within a virtual machine. This virtual machine runs natively on the selected platform and provides a standardised interface. The java classes are intermediate code that are the interpreted by the JVM.

Being able to run the java code on any platform is what makes java so wonderful. There are compilers, for native execution. But they take away the flexibility and my experience to date is that they are not very good.

It is just that some of my number crunching stuff is highly maintainable, but just takes an age to run