SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-02-06, 09:39 PM   #1
aimhamilton

Default Hmmm....new season coming and money burning a hole?!?!

All,

As some of you will know I am fairly new to the SV scene and have been the proud owner of an SV650S for 9 months (passed my test in early June last year), have covered nearly 6000 miles since and have enjoyed both fair and poor weather riding! I love my SV and will always have fond memories....

But..... (you sooo knew there was but coming)

The new season is upon us and I have come into some money and am thinking about purchasing a new bike. No, I hear you cry but I have had some trouble recently with the SV and it made me think of alternatives rides for the new season. With the money now in bank I am asking my fellow SV'ers for some good ol' honest advice. So what do I do...change, not change, move up to a SV1000, IL4 600, IL4 1000....decision decisions decisions!

I can afford to buy a brand spanking new bike without trading my SV in but don't see the point in having two bikes and storage would be a big problem too. So its looking like it will be a bike with trade in, some new leathers and a new lid!

I wanted a Daytona 675 but due to demand I wouldn't get one now till September time which is too late for real summers outings and would then be tucked away for another cruel winter. Plus I have read the latest review which says similar things about this and the new R6. Truly awesome on track but gonna be hard work on roads. So I want something that will be in place for March/April time that will be good for long trips, days out, good for touring (journey to Assen in September) etc etc

So far my heartfelt and maybe ill concieved choices are:

Daytona 650 (I do really want a triumph...Brit Mark an all)
2005 ZX6R (Currently my No.1 choice, popular, comfy and can be had for good money)
2005/2006 ZX10R (yes I know...big jump)
CBR600 (F Sport, RR to harsh I think)
CBR1000 Blade (again...I know...not just a jump but more like a goddamn moonwalk)

Thats enough rant...so....

Discuss....!
Old 08-02-06, 10:57 PM   #2
Jelster

Andy,

You list some interesting choices. I see you have a tendancy for sports bikes and fancy trying an IL4 (Arrgghh the Dark Side...)

My advice is to go and have a test ride on a few different bikes. You've got TAS just down the road, and they have all sorts I think.

If you fancy a Trumpet, look at the Speed Triple, I know it's not faired but it has sportsbike performance and handling (a mate of mine leaves me for dead in the twisties on his). Or maybe take a Sprint ST for a run

Look at the new Fazer Thousand too. Try a VFR, just to see what it's like. I know I'm biased, but the RR3 FireBlade like mine is a great bike. Sports performance and handling with comfort almost as good as a tourer.

Importantly, get the right bike for you, don't rush into it, take your time and let your head have as much influence as your heart.

Good luck !

Old 09-02-06, 02:17 AM   #3
Ratty

If you can't make your mind up on 600 / 1000, have a look at the GSXR750. New shape if you have loads of dosh. Or you can pick up new K4 and even K3's from KJM for a good price. http://www.dealer.autotrader.co.uk/_kjmsuperbike.htm

Ratty
Old 09-02-06, 09:24 AM   #4
Jase22

Why not spend a bit more time learning to ride before heading out for a more powerful machine? You said that you only passed your test last June anyway.

Don't mean to sound patronising, but learn to use the power you have before buying something that's rediculously more powerful.
Old 09-02-06, 09:32 AM   #5
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Default Re: Hmmm....new season coming and money burning a hole?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimhamilton
RR to harsh I think
I ride mine everyday. Try it. I don't think it is too harsh.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-06, 10:15 AM   #6
Foey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
Quote:
RR to harsh I think
I ride mine everyday. Try it. I don't think it is too harsh.

I don't think he wanted one with the restrictor kit fitted.
Old 09-02-06, 10:21 AM   #7
Flamin_Squirrel

Only 6000 miles on the SV

I take it you dont commute/ride in bad weather?

Dont even think about a 1000cc machine.
Old 09-02-06, 10:22 AM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
Quote:
RR to harsh I think
I ride mine verticaly everyday as im scared of corners. Try it. I don't think it is too harsh.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-06, 10:35 AM   #9
aimhamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase22
Why not spend a bit more time learning to ride before heading out for a more powerful machine? You said that you only passed your test last June anyway.

Don't mean to sound patronising, but learn to use the power you have before buying something that's rediculously more powerful.
Thanks mate. Totally agree but I have thought it through. Maybe my logic is flawed but my reasoning for new bike/more power is this. I have mates that passed their test, bought 600's, did about 2500 miles a year and two years later traded them in for R1's, Gixxer750's, 1000's etc. I have done more miles, in less time and feel I have got very used to the power and setup of the SV. At what point do you say your "ready to move up". Mileage, Time, Experience...What is the magic formula?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say I am "above" the SV, far from it! I could keep it forever and still learn something new everyday. But surely you are only as mad, as your right hand and I am not totally stupid and wouldn't expect to drive a ZX6 or bigger as well initially as I do my SV but its just something I want to do.

As you can see from my list the ZX6 is my bike of choice at the moment, and having seen 2005 ZX6's going for £4999 brand new then its seems a sensible option! But this is why I asked you guys, the guys that I respect and (normally) know what their taking about!

All advice and comments appreciated and taking on board! SO keep em coming!
Old 09-02-06, 10:53 AM   #10
Sudoxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Only 6000 miles on the SV

I take it you dont commute/ride in bad weather?

Dont even think about a 1000cc machine.
Well said that man!

I've been riding 3 years or so, and done circa 28k on a bike (guestimate). Having gone from an SV to a speed triple (in winter!), I would try and keep the sv a little longer, if mine hadn't of gone pop i would of kept it because the bike was more than capable of delivering everything I asked of it. The triple is an easy bike to ride, but if your not careful will hoon you off down the road very quickly and could get you into a lot of trouble (same for any bike, but the sv is very forgiving)

Having done around 18k on the sv in just over a year there is possibly* a lot more you can get out of it, if you only passed in June.

If you just fancy a change, how about a supermoto/tails bike, naked 600 etc, more of a sideways step. I would only change if you want to change and not because you are finding the SV a limiting factor in your riding. Don’t get drawn into the latest bike, matching leathers, must be a litre bike, because imho its a load of ********.

*You may be a naturally gifted rider, and can handle the sv 100%. Im not a very fast rider, most of my rideing is commuting so you may have a lot more twisties/fast road experance than me.

Dan