SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-02-06, 10:24 PM   #1
Akula

Default Which small car???? :?

After having the Vectra 2.2 dti serviced £157 its still doing around 30 ish to the gallon so I have decided on getting a new small car.. I have looked at the new
Suzuki Swift 1.5 ddti
http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/ca...y=Main%20image for 10 grande which gets a good write up OR the new

Fiat Grande Punto1.3 16v dt in black http://www.fiat.co.uk/GrandePunto/

for about £1200 less. Each do about 60 mpg (allegedly) on the roads ill be mainly using, just wondered if anyone had any other choices for about teh same amount.......

Akula

Martin
Old 19-02-06, 10:28 PM   #2
Ed

You could always buy my 02 reg red Clio 1.5dCi, 36750 miles, in perfect nick, just 36K serviced - yours for £4,250 or thereabouts ish.

It deffo does 60mpg. And it's not slow.

Ed
Old 19-02-06, 10:31 PM   #3
tigersaw
Mega Poster

I had a Yaris a few years back, that did 55/60 to the gallon, 72 mpg when running in all cautious!
It was totally reliable, did the job perfectly. It had no performance to speak of, but that never bothered me, I finally replaced it because:

The stereo was **** and difficult to replace, one of those funny fit ones,
It did not have a proper spare wheel
You could fit bugger all in the boot
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-06, 11:07 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

I do like the Yaris. Funny, they were absolutely everywhere for a while, now they seem much less common.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-06, 12:15 AM   #5
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
I do like the Yaris. Funny, they were absolutely everywhere for a while, now they seem much less common.
I've just been on the Toyota website, looks like they have blinged the Yaris up a bit since I bought mine, but the basic 'faults' all still remain. They just seem to have added more technology, and leccy windows - I hate leccy windows, I've bust two now by inadvertently using them on a frosty morning. They have kept that awful speedo as well.
I'll be looking for a new car myself in a couple of years, really no idea what to look for, had the economy cars, had the high performance cars, had a van, had a 4x4 truck, all dull compared to bikes!
Old 20-02-06, 12:25 AM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

I'll probably be getting my first car this year... No idea what yet. The sensible option would be something basic, cheap and boring, an Astra or something... But my idiot gland keeps on suggesting I get something daft. I need to be careful though, with my modification addiction if I get anything at all loveable it'll be financial death
Old 20-02-06, 12:33 AM   #7
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
I need to be careful though, with my modification addiction if I get anything at all loveable it'll be financial death
In that case get a 200SX! Cheap old clunkers, but mod mans heaven and rear wheel drive. My mate spends far too much time working on his, over 400HP at the wheels, flames out the exhaust - proper drift car
Old 20-02-06, 12:35 AM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

I have a 2000 1.0 Yaris (GLS spec), 36k from new.

As said, 100% reliability, 50-60mpg is normal once fully run-in (i.e. after 20k miles), just service it once a year and add petrol.

Performance is adequate for what it is. It works.

Fine for longer distances, I did Austria several times.

New slightly bigger Yaris has the "new" 3cyl 1.0L engine (mine has 4cyl), which gives more torque and better economy! The Toyota 1.4 diseasel is what BMW chose to go in the Mini and is supposed to be decent engine, enough torque to pull stumps and 65mpg+. I've never tried one.

The small car from Toyota/Citroen/Peugeot (Aygo etc) is sadly expensive for what it is, just too small for me, though apparently quite fun and excellent economy. Use the Toyota 3cyl engine, all built in Poland in the same factory.

If money isn't the issue, look at the Honda Jazz, comes top in owners' surveys consistently, economy is almost Yaris levels despite being a bigger car all round. Ride is a little uncivilised compared to others but faultless reliability.

Steer clear of anything else French (except the Yaris is French built, and the Aygo variants don't count ) or Italian if you want any sort of reliability.

Skoda are easily the best VAG marque if that appeals.

Nissan Micra can be had much cheaper but only just competes. Older Micra is what I recommend to people wanting cheap reliable runabout, you can pick up very good examples for little over £1k now, don't give much problems especially compared to similar age Fiesta/Corsa etc.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-06, 12:47 AM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw
Quote:
I need to be careful though, with my modification addiction if I get anything at all loveable it'll be financial death
In that case get a 200SX! Cheap old clunkers, but mod mans heaven and rear wheel drive. My mate spends far too much time working on his, over 400HP at the wheels, flames out the exhaust - proper drift car
Well, thanks for that. Temptation's exactly what I need
Old 20-02-06, 05:42 AM   #10
Akula

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw
I had a Yaris a few years back, that did 55/60 to the gallon, 72 mpg when running in all cautious!
It was totally reliable, did the job perfectly. It had no performance to speak of, but that never bothered me, I finally replaced it because:

The stereo was sh*t and difficult to replace, one of those funny fit ones,
It did not have a proper spare wheel
You could fit bugger all in the boot

I also need a fair boot, i liked the Swift because although its a small car it has got a huge boot, once you have lifted the seats back. The Grande Punto has also got a big boot, once the seats are sorted, although as you say the old italian reliability problem is their

Akula