SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-02-06, 12:53 PM   #1
jonboy

Default Yet more Olympic folly...

Just how much more money is the Olympics going to cost us?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...053691,00.html

Does anyone else here resent the vast sums it's going to cost the tax payer just for a little international prestige? And this last thing about the metric signs, can you imagine the chaos PLUS the expense?

Old 23-02-06, 12:55 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

If you think you've got a right to be annoyed, try being in one of the areas that'll get no economic benefit... Another subsidy for London.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-06, 12:56 PM   #3
jonboy

Couldn't agree more. Yet another Blair folly.

Old 23-02-06, 01:30 PM   #4
jambo
Mega Poster

Oh good god, if they convert to Kilometers an hour I'm going to be in a world of trouble (The Kwak's K/hr dial is blue on black and very hard to read)

Northy I understand what you're saying, but Londoners are expected to pick up far more of the tab than anyone else as well, our council tax is going up to pay for all this rubbish!
Old 23-02-06, 01:33 PM   #5
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo
Oh good god, if they convert to Kilometers an hour I'm going to be in a world of trouble (The Kwak's K/hr dial is blue on black and very hard to read)

Northy I understand what you're saying, but Londoners are expected to pick up far more of the tab than anyone else as well, our council tax is going up to pay for all this rubbish!
And probably increased public transport costs too. At the moment, London's transport infrastructure won't be able to cope, so is going to either:

a) require significant investment (paid for by us)
or
b) break down completely (quite likely anyway)
Old 23-02-06, 01:51 PM   #6
Daimo

not to mention all the idiotic tourists.. Well, i say that in the sense of more people in london. More people = less room on pavement = lets walk on the road instead.....

I hate pedestrians As for the Olymics, the only benefit i see is if they replace 80% of the roads round here and re-surface them....

But it wont, it will go on creating more poncy bus lanes and more public transport.
Old 23-02-06, 02:21 PM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

Let's not be too hard, the Olympic Team have been consulting the Wembley group and are working hard towards getting everything ready for 2013.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-06, 02:47 PM   #8
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

From the site ......... "BRITAIN must convert all road signs to metric in time for the 2012 Olympics or risk being seen as a backward nation clinging to an awkward and outmoded measurement system, according to a report published today."

Errm isnt it seen that way already? Even by some so called developing countires.
At least in developing countries you kinda half expect to walk out of hospital with a worse disease than you went in with. MRSA anyone?
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-06, 02:52 PM   #9
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
At least in developing countries you kinda half expect to walk out of hospital with a worse disease than you went in with. MRSA anyone?
Walk out... There's a hope
Old 23-02-06, 02:56 PM   #10
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
Walk out... There's a hope
PMSL
i was gonna say "discharge" but i was sure it was asking for some creative editing, if i did.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote