SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-02-06, 06:48 PM   #1
busasean

Default bloody TFL!!!

just got back from wales to find £200 in fines for using a bus lane in london on my bike! i will go out on my way not to let buses out now!!! bloody ******s!
Old 26-02-06, 06:56 PM   #2
Jelster

Now you know what we have to put up with mate....

Old 26-02-06, 07:00 PM   #3
busasean

really pee'd off! back in london on tuesday, god help any bus driver who pulls out on me! they'll be picking him out of whatever hole i beat him into!
Old 26-02-06, 07:06 PM   #4
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by busasean
really pee'd off! back in london on tuesday, god help any bus driver who pulls out on me! they'll be picking him out of whatever hole i beat him into!
Yes, but he's bigger than you, and in London that means he has right of way...

Old 26-02-06, 07:08 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Just stupid isn't it? I rode down the same bus lane every day for a year and a half, never had a spot of bother,... Got flagged down once by a pair of police bikes and was told "It's OK for bikes to use these lanes, but be careful, someone got knocked off by an idiot driver yesterday"... Rode past loads of police roadblocks. Ten suddenly one day they decided it was punishable by death.

Bikes don't hold buses up. Allowing bikes into bus lanes speeds up other traffic. The only people who can be nagatively effected is the bikers, who'll occasionally get knocked off by useless drivers. So what's the problem?

What's really annoying is hte inconsistency- some places you can, some you can't. How are you supposed to know?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-06, 07:18 PM   #6
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
.....What's really annoying is hte inconsistency- some places you can, some you can't. How are you supposed to know?
Their answer is always "read the signs before you enter one"
My argument is that they are asking me to put priority on readings signs that take my attention away from the road ahead. They are also easy to miss as their is so much other street furniture and signage about.

The argument is that by gigving more attention to signs you are actualy driving without due care and attention as half your time is taken reading signs tat are placed high up enogh that you cannot even fous on the road with your peripheral vision.

And how can it be right that i shoukd give more attention to that then the kids kicking a ball abut on the pavement????
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-06, 07:41 PM   #7
BillyC
Mega Poster

What actually makes this worse, is that some boroughs allow bikes in their bus lanes... though most don't.

So you really have no idea if you can, or can't.... it should be united across London, not this petty picking and choosing demonstrated by the local authorities.

So really, this is NOTHING to do with TFL, it's all imposed by the individual borough.
Old 26-02-06, 07:57 PM   #8
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC
What actually makes this worse, is that some boroughs allow bikes in their bus lanes... though most don't.

So you really have no idea if you can, or can't.... it should be united across London, not this petty picking and choosing demonstrated by the local authorities.

So really, this is NOTHING to do with TFL, it's all imposed by the individual borough.
Not strictly correct there Billy old mate. Its still under trial so they have selected various areas in London to try it. I dont think i'd mind so much if it was Boroughs, what gets me is that in Westminster some you can use some you cant.

TFL are in charge of the bus lanes hence they just issue the fines, regardless of borough.

Stoopid test, planned out badly. Guess they are hoping the figures show it being a bad idea so they wont have to implement it. Typical of current govt strategy.

If it was up to me it'd be busses and motorbikes only in the bus lanes. Why do bloody taxis get the best of both worlds i wonder? What makes their passengers more important than others??
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-06, 08:11 PM   #9
TC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by busasean
So it is the bus drivers fault you have been billed is it?
Old 26-02-06, 08:23 PM   #10
busasean

they're the gits who photographed me! £200 is a **** take though, maybe i should start running on false plates.