SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-03-06, 02:57 AM   #1
zurv

Default SV650S 2002 Seat Storage??

Hello,

I have been looking around and I keep hearing of SV650 seat storage??

My question is, where is this storage and how do I access it?
I have tried lifting the seats but they dont life up easily.

Also, what with reading I have found a lot of reference to K1-K6. What does this mean/refer to? and what K* is mine?

I have a SV650S 2002 model.

Thank you,
Griffe
Old 08-03-06, 07:34 AM   #2
petevtwin650

Hi Griffe,

You have presumably a K2 or a late registered K1, but it is also nicknamed curvy cause of it's lovely shape.

The underseat storage isn't huge, but is accessed by turning the the key in the lock situated under the riders seat and lifting the rear seat.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-06, 07:47 AM   #3
zurv

Thank you,

Cant belive I missed that..

But now I have a problem, the lock is lose and turning the key is very easy, and does not release the seat.

Any ideas on how to figure out whats going on??

The previous owner decided to do his own "no rear fender" mod. He just ripped it all out including rear signals. I think this might have cased something.

Thanks again!
-Griffe
Old 08-03-06, 08:15 AM   #4
leshkin

It might be that the lock cable, which pulls on the lock mechanism when you turn the key, is not connected. Could be because the person, who did the rear fended mod forgot to reatach the cable to the lock before putting the rear seat back on (Or it could've snapped, but IMO very unlikely)

If you look at FAQs and how-to's section of sv650.org for more information on fitting the undertray, which can help you to see how the whole thing works.

You might need to remove most of the rear plastics to get to the cable, which can be a bit fiddly as I found out couple of weeks ago.

It might be something else, but I'm not an expert at this.

Good luck
Old 08-03-06, 08:27 AM   #5
petevtwin650

Trouble is you can't remove the rear plastics without getting the seat off.

Also the reason the key could be turning is if the retaining plate locating the lock was wrongly or not even fitted, but the cable not attached has got to be favourite. Hopefully a pair of long nosed pliers from under the plastics can pull on the cable enough to release the seat. Then you can attach it correctly.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-06, 09:00 AM   #6
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

If the release cable has not been attached then you may be able to see it looking between the pannels.

If not, you could try taking the front seat off and the left bolt & middle clip that holds the fairing on and try to pull the fairing back a tad to look for the release cable and pull it.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 09:19 AM   #7
petevtwin650

Yep removing the front seat might help.

To do this you take out the allen headed bolt in the panel under the front seat on either side of the bike. Gently pivot out the side panels and using a larger allen key ,remove the two bolts securing the seat. Left the seat up from the front as it's located by tabs at the rear.
Old 08-03-06, 03:56 PM   #8
zurv

Wow, you guys/galls are great! Didnt expect this many replies! Awesome community, I just realized you guys are mainly in the UK (I am in the USA). I noticed the SVRider form is primarily US peeps but I rather stay here, Europeans know more (I'm originally from South Africa.)

Anways, where is the lock on the rear seat? font? rear? left ride? right side?

btw TSM, nice pics.

-Griffe
Old 08-03-06, 04:30 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

The lock's right at the front of the back seat, but the cable goes down from the left hand side to the lock mechanism. (as you sit on the bike)

I managed to do that once, I was lucky enough that I could reach the cable with my tiny hands and a pair of needlenose pliars If not... I suppose the cheapest part to replace will be the undertray, the easiest part the rear seat, choose which one's more important to you and cut through the other one
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote