SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-04-06, 06:24 PM   #1
Scooby Drew

Default Maggies Cancer Caring centres

My friend Angie on her Gixxer with her cousin Miki as pillion...

Angie got me involved as a bike marshall at the Edinburgh marathon last year, an event I thoroughly enjoyed.

She has done this for the last 3 years but this year she, along with her cousin Miki, is putting her money where her mouth is and will be running it. They are doing this in aid of Maggies Cancer Caring centres

Please sponsor them as this is a really worthwhile cause, helping people who have cancer, as well as helping their families. To sponsor them, click here
Old 04-04-06, 11:34 AM   #2
Scooby Drew

Thanks for stickying this!

Guys and girls, I know it is hard having everyone asking for money at work and now on here as well... I would at least like to appeal to those of you who have had to take advantage of help from a good samaritan- whether you have fallen off your bike and injured yourself, or needed a lift when your tank runs dry.

Maggies is completely autonomous, they are not linked to the NHS and do not receive funding from the government - they are completely reliant on fundraising and goodwill from the general public.

Quote:
Maggie's Centres are for anybody who has, or who has had cancer. They are also for their families, their friends and their carers.

The aim of Maggie's Centres is to help people with cancer to be as healthy in mind and body as possible and enable them to make their own contribution to their medical treatment and recovery.

They allow people to address all aspects of living with cancer. They can share their experiences with others in similar situations and, with professional help, inform themselves about the medical realities of their disease.

The friendly environment of the centres, close in each case to a major cancer hospital treatment centre, invites people to take time out and gives them a non-institutional place they can call their own.
Quote:
We need to raise £25 million to help 1,000,000 people across the UK live with, through and beyond cancer.

We have been asked by NHS Trusts in twelve regions of the UK to build Maggie’s Cancer Caring Centres. Once built these Centres will form a network that will make a difference to the lives of hundreds of thousands of people living with cancer. To do it we must raise £25 million.

Thanks to your generosity and enthusiasm, three Maggie’s Centres have now opened. Since our first centre opened in Edinburgh in 1996, our award winning support and information programme has helped more than 75,000 thousand people. Without your help and support we would not have been able to do this.

To build more Centres and to continually fund the services in our existing Centres we need your help.
Now Angie & Miki are 2 fun loving girls, who although they are not athletes, are training hard and are determined to complete this. (Angies training regime includes me riding behind her on a mountain bike shouting 'Faster, Faster!')

Please please please help if you can.

Drew
Old 08-04-06, 09:53 PM   #3
Ward8124

I shall donate a small sum, i dont have much dosh but like the tesco ad everylittle helps.
Old 09-04-06, 04:21 AM   #4
Scooby Drew

Thanks, anything is much appreciated

Old 10-04-06, 03:00 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

My colleague's dad has a terminal brain tumour, and is apparently getting fantastic care from a Maggie's Centre- they've enabled him to get home to spend his last few days there. It really is a great cause. Donation on the way tonight, I'll ask about at work, see if anyone else will put something in.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-06, 05:16 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Bump ( bump topic buttons not working atm )

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 11:17 AM   #7
Scooby Drew

Thanks Northy and Sharriso74

Bump...
Old 25-04-06, 08:49 AM   #8
Scooby Drew

Bump...
Old 11-06-06, 09:15 PM   #9
Scooby Drew

Angie and Miki would like to give a big thank you to everyone who sponsored them for the marathon. Angie (L) finished in 5 1/2 hours and Miki (R) finished in 5hrs. Good going!