SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-04-06, 06:50 PM   #1
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Venture Shield Fuel Tank Protective Film

Has anybody ever put this on their bike. If so what did you think of it.

I want something to put onto the fuel tank to protect the paint work on the GSXR.

I've been looking at tank protectors but all the spine type ones the colours dont fit with the chavy paint work on the GSXR. I thought a clear tank spine but my dad has one on on his Hairnet and its lifted off a little on the edges and gone yellow and it doesnt look very good anymore.

Thanks

Fizz

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 07:31 PM   #2
svsk2

I have the full kit on my GSXR K4. So far I've been very impressed. It's barely visible and it does seem to protect the paintwork and thus far has not yellowed or peeled off. I would recommend that you go for the full kit rather than just the tank kit. It doesn't cost all that much more. The paintwork on the GSXR's isn't all that great and without the ventureshield I was finding that the nose and light was constantly peppered with small paint chips and scuff marks. A word of warning though. It is a complete b*%^%$d to put on and requires a great deal of patience. But it's worth it.

There is an outfit in Essex that does something similar to VentureShield who will actually fit it to your bike, but it costs about £300. If you want, I can try to find out their details.
Old 06-04-06, 07:34 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Tankslappers in the US do a similiar product, either in their own film or 3M clear film- which is thicker and incredibly tough, but harder to work with. But tbh , I wasn't at all impressed with their customer service- fast delivery, but they left a bit out and refused to replace it (I bought the tank bag kit and the tank protector kit, which should have given me 2 of the centre part, one from each- they didn't send it, and refused to supply one, even though I'd paid for it- I'd planned to use it elsewhere.

Got some Ventureshield film here that I'm going to have a bit of a play about with.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 07:39 PM   #4
svsk2

Northy,

You've got me worried now. What parts were supposed to be in the tank kit? All I got for the tank was two side pieces and one centre piece for below the fuel tap. Was there supposed to be a piece for the front part of the tank?
Old 06-04-06, 08:41 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Nah, sounds like you have all the bits. With the normal kit, you get the 2 sidey bits and one for the middle, which you've described. With teh tank bag kit, you get a bigger one for the top of the tank as well as the one for the middle that you got, but not the sides.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 08:44 PM   #6
embee
Mega Poster

Mate of mine wanted a clear tank protector, but like fizzwheel said he found they go yellow with age.

My Toyota Yaris has a patch of clear plastic protector just in front of the rear wheelarch, where the cr@p from the front wheel hits the bodywork. He priced one up at £10 from the local Toyota dealership, same as a tank protector, and it doesn't go yellow. Trim to required shape.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-06, 09:29 AM   #7
falc

I got the tankslapper kit you described above, the 3 part one. Ive not got around to fitting it yet as I really want to get rid of some scratches on the tank but seems quiet cheap for what it is.

Will have to fit it soon, ill update when I fit it.