SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-07-06, 09:53 PM   #1
Warren

Default new triumph daytona - anyone got one yet?

has anyone here got one yet, or know anyone thats got one yet?

are they as good as they are hyped to be ?

for a few months in the press, it was daytona this, daytona that- and now its gone all quiet on the triumph front, havent heard anything about em,

discuss.
Old 19-07-06, 10:10 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

My dads next door neighbour had one. He loved it. Until it started falling apart. IIRC the wing mirror fell of it when he was riding along and also he noticed that when he was cleaning it the bolts had gone all furry and it had started to go rusty so he sold it a bought a Fireblade. He covered 1500 odd miles on it.

I had a sit on it. It felt tiny. You sit right over the front. The seat was rock hard and very narrow and also sloped downwards towards the tank so you had to keep sliding back up the seat.

I never rode it though so I dont really know what it was like from that point of view.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-06, 10:13 PM   #3
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
My dads next door neighbour had one. He loved it. Until it started falling apart. IIRC the wing mirror fell of it when he was riding along and also he noticed that when he was cleaning it the bolts had gone all furry and it had started to go rusty so he sold it a bought a Fireblade. He covered 1500 odd miles on it.
in my opinion, thats one of the major factors that would put me off buying a bike, shoddy build quality.

nice choice of the fireblade though
Old 19-07-06, 10:30 PM   #4
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

We know a couple of people who've got them. Viv loves hers to bits..............Martin has just binned his on a track day Neither of them have had any quality problems that we're aware of, but they ARE Triumphs

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-06, 10:37 PM   #5
Ed

Tsk.

'if it aint broke, don't fix it' - so why replace the D650. I my D650. I can't see any need to replace it, they only built the model for a year... new one looks minute next to mine, I've not had a ride on a 675 so I can't comment on handling etc. But it does look a bit small...
Old 20-07-06, 07:33 AM   #6
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Slightly OT but....

I really like the new R6, though has anyone sat on one? I'm not talking about the riding position, but one of the ugliest displays of 'behind the headlight styling' I have ever seen! The clocks look great but everything beyond that is hideous! Shame really because pretty much everything else about it is/looks superb!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-06, 08:57 AM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

There's not that many 675's out there at all, I think it was 5000 in the first run, including exports, so it's no wonder you don't see many. I'm not sure if that was clever or not on Triumph's part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar
I really like the new R6, though has anyone sat on one? I'm not talking about the riding position, but one of the ugliest displays of 'behind the headlight styling' I have ever seen! The clocks look great but everything beyond that is hideous! Shame really because pretty much everything else about it is/looks superb!
I think the whole thing looks awful to be honest, but that's just me. Hate the front end with a passion, it reminds me of Michael Jackson when his nose fell off.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-06, 09:02 AM   #8
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
I think the whole thing looks awful to be honest, but that's just me. Hate the front end with a passion, it reminds me of Michael Jackson when his nose fell off.
Agreed. The back end and can look like they've been stuck on like some sort of hideous after thought.
Old 20-07-06, 09:06 AM   #9
coombest

The R6 is indeed ugly in road trim but in race guise it somehow looks pretty... That horiffic numberplate hanger isn't there, the exhaust is replaced with something much sexier (not hard!) and that nasty sheap grey/black plastic that fills the middle of the air intake hole in the front has been replaced with sexy painted bodywork. Still souldn't want one though!

Now - back on topic...

I've ridden one!
Old 20-07-06, 09:18 AM   #10
Swiss

So have I.

Frikkin brilliant, a bit skittish for my liking as the roads weren't what you would call sliky smooth but I guess you might be able to tweak the settings a bit and soften it up.

Awesome bike though, but it wasn't quite enough to tempt me from the 955i, but you will have to believe me when I tell you it was damn close.