SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-07-06, 09:59 PM   #1
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Advice Please Fellow Cyclists

I've been laying into the pies a bit to much recently so in an effort to get a bit fitter. I have fished my pushbike out of the kitchen ( seriously it does live in there ) and have started cycling again.

I'm after a bit of advice. I have currently got a cheapo from halfrauds cycle computer. It tells me basic stuff. Current Speed, Trip distance, Total distance, Avg speed, time elapsed.

Being the geek I am I have been looking at upgrading this to something that will do all of the above but also cadence and also a heart rate monitor. No particular reason I just want some way of keeping me interested in cycling as I get bored quickly. Also I like the idea of monitoring what I'm doing and trying to beat PB time on the route that I am riding.

I dont have an unlimited budget. I've been looking at some of the ones made by Polar.

Does anybody have any recommendations.

Cheers

Fizz

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-06, 10:56 PM   #2
Vfr400

Default Re: Advice Please Fellow Cyclists

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
I've been laying into the pies a bit to much recently so in an effort to get a bit fitter. I have fished my pushbike out of the kitchen ( seriously it does live in there ) and have started cycling again.

I'm after a bit of advice. I have currently got a cheapo from halfrauds cycle computer. It tells me basic stuff. Current Speed, Trip distance, Total distance, Avg speed, time elapsed.

Being the geek I am I have been looking at upgrading this to something that will do all of the above but also cadence and also a heart rate monitor. No particular reason I just want some way of keeping me interested in cycling as I get bored quickly. Also I like the idea of monitoring what I'm doing and trying to beat PB time on the route that I am riding.

I dont have an unlimited budget. I've been looking at some of the ones made by Polar.

Does anybody have any recommendations.

Cheers

Fizz

yup! sell the bike and buy something nice for the Gixer
Old 20-07-06, 11:50 PM   #3
donkeykong

tell you what mate, couldnt give you a price or nothing, but
I got the Polar T61 transmitter (straps below your tits, bit of spit like) and watch.

very good kit. theres a watch battery or something in the chest thingy, when it runs out (after X years) they replace it free of charge.

The watch does stuff like warm ups/cool downs, beeps if your heart rate goes over a preset rate, beeps if your heart rate gets too lazy(!), tells you how many calories youve worked this sesh, and of course, your current heart rate.

Oh yeah, those polar things work with the machines in the gym too, so you dont need the watch if your off for a jog on the treadmill, just the chest strap thing.

I used to have a habit of going well over my max safe heart rate, soon got that in check. Highly recommended.

think they all do pretty much the same thing, just the watches differ.
Old 21-07-06, 06:49 AM   #4
mattSV
Mega Poster

I agree with the barrel-chucking chimp - can't go wrong with Polar
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-06, 08:57 AM   #5
kciN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV
I agree with the barrel-chucking chimp - can't go wrong with Polar

Instead of buying a heart rate monitor, go do a bit off roading, up hill down dale, as they say oop north!

It's good fun. I get out on my mountain bike a lot and enjoy road riding but the occasional back lane and through the wood blast does wonders for your fitness and heart rate!
Old 21-07-06, 01:56 PM   #6
greeno76

Don't forget Garmin

http://www.garmin.com/products/edge305/

I think Wiggle do them.

- Jason
Old 21-07-06, 02:18 PM   #7
DanDare

Fizz, you body has its own way of telling how well your doing.

1. If your not sweating then your not doing enough.

2. If you've a sharp pain in your chest, then you pushed yourself too far and your having a heart attack.

Seriously though, running burns off carbs and cals quicker better than cycling.
Fetch you trainers out of the cupboard and go for a jog.
Old 21-07-06, 02:42 PM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare
I have bad knees I always find running leaves me with sore knees for a few days. I've always found cycling is better for me and also its nowhere near as tedious.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-06, 02:45 PM   #9
DanDare

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare
I have bad knees I always find running leaves me with sore knees for a few days. I've always found cycling is better for me and also its nowhere near as tedious.
Your just itching to get your Grifter out complete with Spokey Dokeys!
Old 21-07-06, 02:46 PM   #10
Filipe M.

Fizz, can you find SigmaSport cycle computers and heart rate monitors around? Not the very best, but they're good value for money.