SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-07-06, 02:17 PM   #1
drumwrecker

Default Oil Capacity

I've meant to rase this subject before.

Just done another oil and filter change and measured the amount of new oil in a measuring jug.

The manual says without filter change 2.3litres, with filter change 2.4 litres so why have I just put 2.7 litres in and the level is about a 3rd up the inspection glass and would likely take another .10 litre. I even had a spirit level on the tank to ensure the bike was upright.
What's going on here? The bike is a K2 SV650s

Just checked the level and is the same so has had plenty of time to settle then rechecked the manual and note it says for rebuild, dry engine and new filter 2.7 litres.
Old 31-07-06, 02:20 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Are you using a paddock stand? This would raise the rear meaning there was more oil down at the front of the engine than the back relative to being flat. The tank is not neccessarily a true level with the ground.
Old 31-07-06, 02:32 PM   #3
jonboy

If you use a paddock stand, the oil level in the sight-glass appears at a higher level than when on a level surface.

A curvy takes 2.4 litres with a filter change, I've done this many times, so I know. 2.7 litres sounds very high, unless you're looking at it while the bike's leaning on the sidestand, cos if you are then expect to get a good four litres in . Seriously, if the bike is held upright, and you've allowed a good ten seconds for the oil to move across the sump and settle, then 2.4 litres of oil will see the level almost at the very top.

Old 31-07-06, 02:33 PM   #4
drumwrecker

No paddock stand involved but I will now put it on the paddock stand and see where the level is and put my own mark and save the balancing act every time
In the end I did get piece of wood that fitted under the bike so when the bike rested on it it was level.
It did take anothe .10 of a litre and is just about half way between the marks, so 2.8 litres in all.
Old 31-07-06, 02:42 PM   #5
jonboy

There's no way that an extra 400ml of oil can disappear inside the engine. Honest guv, you've over-filled it.

Old 31-07-06, 03:07 PM   #6
petevtwin650

Strangely enough I have to put exactly the same amount of oil 2.7 litres. On both my curvys that I've owned. We check it with me on the bike a spirit level on the petrol cap from left to right so it's perfectly upright. However I have often wondered if the fact the the suspension is raised at the rear and lowered at the front is playing a part. If I only put in 2.4 ltrs in it barely registers in the sight glass.
Old 31-07-06, 03:18 PM   #7
Carsick

Aftermarket oil cooler? That would account for the difference.
Old 31-07-06, 03:25 PM   #8
drumwrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650
Strangely enough I have to put exactly the same amount of oil 2.7 litres. On both my curvys that I've owned. We check it with me on the bike a spirit level on the petrol cap from left to right so it's perfectly upright. However I have often wondered if the fact the the suspension is raised at the rear and lowered at the front is playing a part. If I only put in 2.4 ltrs in it barely registers in the sight glass.
Except for the suspension exactly the same situation. My garage floor is 1/2 a bubble out in the opposite direction to the changes in your suspension so I went and turned the bike around and it is now 2/3rds between the marks.
I wonder if larger sumps were put on some bikes maybe for hotter climates that were used up on bikes sent to other countries like the UK.
Old 31-07-06, 03:28 PM   #9
drumwrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsick
Aftermarket oil cooler? That would account for the difference.
As far as I know my bike is completely standard so doesn't have an oil cooler.
Old 31-07-06, 04:03 PM   #10
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650
Just to add to Pete's original post, we always drain the oil straight after a ride, so it's nice and hot. The bike is on the Abba stand, so it's upright, and we leave the plug out and the oil draining until we are ready to replace the filter and oil, usually several days.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote