SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-08-06, 08:15 PM   #1
Nekkid

Default Upgrading a laptop IT question

Hello, all. Wondering if one of the IT bods can give me any hints.
I have a Compaq Presario 700 and want to put more memory and a faster CPU in it.
So, 2 questions.
Where can I get information on what makes/models/colours/flavours of hardware will work
and
will I just be able to put it in myself (I know I can physically put it in, but will it be a mare to configure)?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-08-06, 08:19 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Upgrading a laptop IT question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekkid
I have a Compaq Presario 700 and want to put more memory and a faster CPU in it.
How old is that Laptop ? Must be a couple of years old ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 09:04 PM   #3
rpwoodman

For memory, go to http://www.crucial.com/
There is a tool there which you can download and it'll tell you what you need, with a money-back guarantee.

The CPU is different. I'd be very surprised if you could upgrade it at all, and if you could, it'd be a real pain, having to take it apart. Most laptops have the CPU integrated to the mobo as opposed to having a socket like a desktop.
Old 08-08-06, 09:15 PM   #4
Filipe M.

Erm... I would forget it. IIRC the Presario 700 is the one with the rounded edges, right? Bought circa 2001? AMD chip in it, probably around 1 GHz... Seriously speaking, it's probably not even the price of the ram for it. If I were you, unless there were a very good reason to do it, or no chance in hell to step up to a new one, I wouldn't bother and start saving some pennies... even a cheap new computer will be much better than it, with a larger capacity HD, probably a DVD burner, much better screen... give it some serious thought, mate.

Just my 2 cents, hope I haven't been too harsh.
Old 08-08-06, 11:18 PM   #5
ethariel

Upgrading the memory will be cheap and easy, bout 15 to 30 quid will get you 256 to 512 meg ram.

CPU upgrade ? - No chance i'm afraid.

Colin
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-06, 12:07 AM   #6
philipMac

Yup.
as above. You dont really upgrade processors in laptops. You might be wise to look into buying some RAM, depending on how things are running wrt swap this might help you. If you have 1/4 Gig of RAM, or lower you should see some gain.

One GHz chip is not really that bad though.
Mine is 1.7Ghz, but I have a little CPU counter in my tool bar, and it is almost always throttled down to 600MHz. The only thing that really spins it up to full speed are big Flash graphics, and playing movies.

Shrug. Things might need more cycles if I run Windows. I am not sure. What do you need your machine for?
Old 09-08-06, 08:39 AM   #7
Nekkid

Filipe, you NASTY man!!

I do see your point, but I'm going to buy a new desktop for photography work and keep it far, far away from the evil internet and just use the laptop for that.
It's just that every program I load on to this machine recommends 256mb and sayes I only have 240 (I know, computer maths aint right!) and it does run a bit slow. I just got F-Secure and it's really slowed it down, which I'm guessing is a memory issue.

Fizz, as Filipe said, it's from about 2001.

So I think I'll just stick some more memory in it and see if it helps.

Thanks for your help!

p.s. I hope the weather is as good there as it is in Sweden, a beautiful day for riding! If only I could!!
Old 09-08-06, 08:55 AM   #8
Nekkid

Hey, RPWoodman,
Thanks for the link, I just tried it and they didn't have any memory available! Can you suggest where else I might buy it?
I'm looking on ebay, but what are the chances of getting the right thing???
Checked on DABS too but no luck.
Ta
Old 09-08-06, 09:17 AM   #9
wyrdness

A quick Google suggests that the Presario 700 can't be upgraded to more than 384Mb. As standard it should have 256Mb, comprising of 128Mb soldered and 128Mb removable. You should be able to find a 256Mb module for it, to replace the 128Mb removable module, but it might be expensive for just a 128Mb upgrade.