SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-08-06, 09:40 AM   #1
localhost

Default Brake caliper

So it went to change my brake pads on the back brake.
The pins were stuck (as i imagine a few of you have experienced) and there was no way of getting them out.
I ended up snapping them off in the end, with the hope of drilling them out.

I was just told that it's not really possible to drill them out, since the caliper is made of aluminiun, so most likely you end up spinning off the pins and making a whole in the caliper (i don't have any fancy drilling equipment so i can't lock it in place or anything of the sort).

So here i am, about to get a new brake caliper, and i can't find one on eBay (bless eBay though).
Can anyone recommend a good online shop for a new rear brake caliper, or about how much you are supposed to pay for one?

The suzuki dealer in north london where i live, wants to charge over 30 quid for a standard air filter, so i won't even bother asking them (and iirc they wanted over 160 quid for a new reg/rec).

Kindest regards,
- J
Old 16-08-06, 10:01 AM   #2
DanAbnormal

I have had this many a time on my bikes. In the end I just took it to a dealer who sorted it for me for the price of pads/fluids and a little labour. I think you should have maybe taken this route rather than snapping the pins. But then hindsight is a marvellous gift. Hope you get it sorted.
Old 16-08-06, 10:26 AM   #3
DoubleD

thats why when I had my bike in for a service they said they would grease the brake pins.....

sorry it doesn't help you I know, hope you get it sorted.
Old 16-08-06, 10:34 AM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

If you want a new caliper, then try www.sparesdirect.co.uk
Failing that , you can split the caliper buy a kits to rebuild it and job done. if you are a mechanical numptie, then find a local garage that will sort it for you
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-06, 10:35 AM   #5
empty

You haven't specified which model of SV (early curvy or later pointy), the early curvy ones it is possible to drill the back of the caliper and use a small drift to knock the pins out, I guess this is also possible on the pointy one but I don't have one of these to look at. Where have they snapped? If it is in the back of the caliper then you should be able to remove them, if in the front part (by front I mean the way they come out, back being the blind hole they sit in) then you may well need a new set. If you have a curvy, cangrats, you should be well in luck since the rear caliper has been used on loads of suzukis for ages, bandits, busas and older gsxrs come to mind. Not sure about the pointy ones though.

If you can, find one that has bolts with 14mm (?) hex heads rather than the 6mm allen key head that they come with now.

Cheers,

MT
Old 16-08-06, 10:52 AM   #6
localhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty
You haven't specified which model of SV (early curvy or later pointy), the early curvy ones it is possible to drill the back of the caliper and use a small drift to knock the pins out, I guess this is also possible on the pointy one but I don't have one of these to look at. Where have they snapped? If it is in the back of the caliper then you should be able to remove them, if in the front part (by front I mean the way they come out, back being the blind hole they sit in) then you may well need a new set. If you have a curvy, cangrats, you should be well in luck since the rear caliper has been used on loads of suzukis for ages, bandits, busas and older gsxrs come to mind. Not sure about the pointy ones though.

If you can, find one that has bolts with 14mm (?) hex heads rather than the 6mm allen key head that they come with now.

Cheers,

MT
It's a curvy (2000).
They have snapped right at the back, so i suppose i can try to drill them out.

So would bandit calipers fit, or gsxrs?
I might have a look on eBay again for bandit or gixxer back calipers then.

Thanks!
Old 16-08-06, 01:33 PM   #7
cmit37

Why waste money on new ones - upgrade to some second hand calipers from ebay for gsxr 600 750 00,01,02 by buying these brackets http://highspeedassault.com/sv.htm
Old 16-08-06, 01:40 PM   #8
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmit37
Why waste money on new ones - upgrade to some second hand calipers from ebay for gsxr 600 750 00,01,02 by buying these brackets http://highspeedassault.com/sv.htm
He's talking about the rear - not the fronts!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-06, 01:45 PM   #9
cmit37

I'll get my coat.
Old 16-08-06, 01:52 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

You weren't far off, though, because the GSXR SRAD rear caliper bolts right on and is easier to find...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote