SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-11-06, 08:53 PM   #1
bobit69

Default Yamaha RD 350 LC.. Engine Oil???

My RD has a separate oil tank for 2 stroke oil, which I keep topped up like petrol.

My question.... It also has a place to put oil in the engine... Much in the same place as the SV. Can anyone tell me what engine oil one should put in?? Is the dipstick shows NO OIL!!!!

What is the point of having this as theoretically there are now two???

Thanks,

B
Old 30-11-06, 08:59 PM   #2
andy

I love Elsies, wish I had never sold mine.

2 stroke light gear oil is what you need - it is designed for 2 stroke wet clutch gearboxes. Should be able to get in any decent bike shop or MX shop.

Do not use normal engine oil, I think it is because normal engine oil is thinner than ideal for a gearbox because it needs to lube a 4 stroke piston, cams, etc.....

There should be oil on the dipstick.
Old 30-11-06, 09:48 PM   #3
RingDing

Default Re: Yamaha RD 350 LC.. Engine Oil???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobit69
My RD has a separate oil tank for 2 stroke oil, which I keep topped up like petrol.

My question.... It also has a place to put oil in the engine... Much in the same place as the SV. Can anyone tell me what engine oil one should put in?? Is the dipstick shows NO OIL!!!!

What is the point of having this as theoretically there are now two???

Thanks,

B
Andy is right, you want to top up the gearbox (for that is where the dipstick leads) with a light gear oil. There should indeed be oil on the dipstick.

2 strokes have separate lubrication for the clutch and gearbox. The crank is lubricated by the 2 stroke oil that mixes with the fuel as the intake charge is sucked in under the pistons. This method could never provide enough lubrication for a gerbox (nor would you want your fuel mix going into such a huge volume) and so the gearbox is separate. In fact a telltale sign that the crankseal on the right hand side has gone is that that cylinder behaves as if it is too rich, due to it sucking in amounts of rgearbox oil and it getting drawn up into the combustion chamber. Likewise on the LHS cylinder if it appears to be running too lean, compare to the RHS then it is likely your crankseal has gone and it is sucking in aair that weakens the fuel mix in the crank.

Hope above makes sense, I've had a glass of red and I'm a lightweight!
LC's rule, I also have one!

3x Honda C110 - phut-phut-phut
KTM Duke 690 - brum-braaaaaaa!!!!!
BSA C25 - brum-braa-braa
RD350LC Ring-ding-phut-clatter-££££££
RingDing is offline   Reply With Quote