SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-12-06, 11:16 PM   #1
NedSVS

Default Fitting CBR600 Wheel (or probably not!)

I am (or was) in the process of fitting CBR600 (Mid 90's) wheels to my 2001 SV curvy. As I mentioned in my last posting (regarding speedo drive alternatives) the rear is a known way of fitting a 5 inch rear wheel but I hadn't found any info' on the front. I'd had a measuring session with the Honda front wheel (looked good at this point) and sleeved the bearings to suit the spindle. Eventually tried the front in tonight and it fitted perfect BUT it wont turn The floating disc rivets on the Honda discs are slightly further out and catch on the pad retaining stops of the calliper mounting brackets (That's why there is a good 5mm or so of unused disc on the inner edge of the standard rotors) Too much so to tickle off with a file So unless someone has a good idea how to fix this, then the project is off: I'm not prepared to run different style wheels front and rear like some people have.
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 06:01 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fitting CBR600 Wheel (or probably not!)

Resurrecting old posts! Bit of a big jump this, but I've found that some 17" blade wheels fit perfectly into SRAD forks, long road for a shortcut though. I believe VFR would be fine as well, not sure about CBR, but if memory serves some of those are in the same style (mine is a dymag, but the sizing is identical of course)
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 08:06 PM   #3
NedSVS

Bit of a shock to see my old post resurected Anyway, I now have CBR600F3 wheels fitted front and rear. I've been meaning to post some pictures for a while but just havent got around to it. The rear was easy, the breakthrough to making the front work was changing to GSXR calipers on adapter plates and changing the speedo drive to the opposite side of the wheel (requires quite heavy modification). I am happy with the results, so much so I intend to stick with the CBR wheels and have bought a second set. I'm currently painting one set and will then swap them around whilst I paint the other set. I intend to have sporty/summer/track day tyres (currently Supercosa SC1/SC2) on one set and touring/winter tyres on the other set (Continental Road Attack).
Old 02-08-07, 09:23 PM   #4
NedSVS

At last! The CBR600 F3 wheels have been fitted a few weeks now, but I wanted to paint them up before posting some pictures. I know other people have fitted the CBR600 F3 rear but I don't know of anyone who has fitted the front as well (understandable as there are problems to overcome). Comment, feedback and questions are welcomed (good or bad).

Old 02-08-07, 09:43 PM   #5
BILLY

What size tyre are you running on the rear??
Old 02-08-07, 09:56 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Lookin' good! That's a good number of spokes for an SV Top mounted brake caliper I see, interested in how that's mounted... I'm guessing you added a lug to the back of the swingarm...

A proper writeup is needed, the F3 swap's a fairly popular one for the US guys so they'll be interested in this for sure.

Top marks
Old 02-08-07, 09:56 PM   #7
NedSVS

Still running 160/60 but would take 170. Some people have even fitted 180's on these 5 inch rear rims, but personally I wouldn't advise it - you're back where you started, i.e. a tyre you can't use all of.
Old 02-08-07, 10:08 PM   #8
NedSVS

Quote:
Top mounted brake caliper I see, interested in how that's mounted... I'm guessing you added a lug to the back of the swingarm...
That was done some time back, but still works well with the F3 wheel. The lug to stop the brake plate rotating is simply a cap head allen screw bolted to the inside of the swinging arm. You have to drill a hole but strength is not an issue.
Old 02-08-07, 11:59 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm looking at a different rear wheel which calls for some daft construction y'see, this is about as close as I've seen to what I'd have to do.
Old 03-08-07, 07:53 AM   #10
BigBaddad

Nice bike NedSVS, quality conversion. Can I enquire as to why you'd bother to change your wheels, is it cosmetic or to be different or to see if it can be done.......or are there any advantages lower weight etc?