SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-01-07, 09:44 PM   #1
Baldyman

Default Precision Engineering companies?

Any precision engineers out there?

Background - I have an ancient (1982) Honda FT500 for which I cannot locate a new alternator rotor drive ring. The FT has a very weak starter motor which has stripped the inner half of all the drive teeth.
Question - Does anyone know an engineering company they could recommend that is capable of:
1 - cutting off the drive ring and reversing it?
2 - producing a new drive ring and fitting it to the alternator rotor?
3 - turning me a new rotor complete with drive ring?

I know it will cost, but this ugly old bike has definitely worked its charms on me and I really am loathed to scrap it.

'Course another option is finding an XL500 engine (i.e. no starter motor!!)

Thanks in advance

Leigh
Old 24-01-07, 09:54 PM   #2
Beenz

The ring gear might be fine, they are designed to have a bevel so the starter gear meshes easily. The actator mechanism is probably worne out (dos not throw the sarter gear in far enough). This is the same as the problem I had on my old CB250 RSD from the days of old. Lots of people blamed the ring gear or starter teeth but missed the obvious. I 'cured' my CB by replaceing the actuator bits.

Take out the old actuator assembly and you'll be able to see if it's toast. You might be able to fabricate a new one or get another one made.

Just a thought, a stuffed Honda XL500 engine might help to convert the bottom end to a kick start. You'd probably need the whole crankcase full of stuff though to get not only the kick but the take up gear... just a thought. Maybe some XBR500 bits might help the starter also although I'm unsure how much was shared with the FT/XL.

A shame really as the FT was a real hoot when pointed at hills.

Good luck!
Old 24-01-07, 10:20 PM   #3
Baldyman

Hmmmh, that maybe true of the drive gear, but it looks fairly substantial "bevel" to me!!
I have overhauled the actuator assembly and it seems to move freely enough.

I need to get the engine cover off and get a photo for your opinion. Having said that I can't seem to get the "postimage" facility to work could be a firewall thingy!

Are you going down the Roo tomorrow?
Old 24-01-07, 10:38 PM   #4
Beenz

I might have some free time over the weekend to give it a gander. Let me know and I'll pop over.

Work means I'll not make the Roo on a Thursday for a long while. I've been searching for my old CB manual but after two house moves it's turned invisible.

The initial options are:

- New (donor) bottom end from XL500 and convert to kick (that wll hurt if it kicks back)
- As above but use the XBR 500 workings and keep electric start, might be easier, IIRC this had a kick as well.
- shim out the starter gear so its closer to the ring gear
- modify/replace/fabricate new actuator. Possibly the simplest maybe.

Don't give up on the FT, it really is a cracking bike as I'm sure you already know.
Old 25-01-07, 01:51 PM   #5
cmit37

Google turned up - http://www.bsdmotorcycledevelopments...gineering.html
Old 25-01-07, 06:46 PM   #6
Baldyman

Cheers cmit, exactly what I was looking for!
What phrase did you put into google?
Old 25-01-07, 06:58 PM   #7
cmit37

motorcycle engineering company
Old 26-01-07, 07:39 PM   #8
Baldyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmit37
motorcycle engineering company
Nearly had it, I used "motorbike precision engineers