SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Rideouts & Meetings Arrange get togethers and rideouts

Old 31-01-07, 10:36 PM   #1
GSX1400

Default Wales Air Ambulance Rideout

Hello everyone

I hope you don't mind me posting on your site but in my defence I did own a SV650 until March 2004 and was a regular poster on the 'old' board (known as forgie). I've been popping into the site from time to time but haven't posted since I got rid of the SV. I tried logging in using my old log in details but it wouldn't allow me in - hence the new name.

ANYWAY, the reason for my post is to inform you all of a rideout taking place on saturday June 2nd 2007 from Cardiff to Ewloe, Nr Chester in aid of the Welsh Air Ambulance.

You are welcome to take part in the whole ride or part of it - all that we ask is that you pay a minimum of £5.00 per rider (£3.00 per pillion).

The ride will take in some of the best roads that wales has to offer (a total of 220 miles). The event is being sponsored by a large hotel group who have some discounted rooms available in Cardiff and ewloe for those people wishing to make a weekend of it. Medical cover is also being supplied throughout the duration of the ride by off duty staff. A BBQ and disco/band is being organised by the hotel for the finish, a bike hire company (based 1/2 way along the route) are laying on 1/2 time refreshments and a mechanic for any niggles that may have cropped up along the way.

We are also planning a stop at the helimed base in Welshpool for some photographs.

The event is being backed by the police and they will also be promoting their Bikesafe Programme.

Lembit Opik MP will ride part of the route and we are also hoping that Nick Sander (round the world record holder) will be available to take part.

For more information please send your name and address to the following email:

helimed999@fsmail.net

you will then receive a automatic response informing you of what to do next.

The wales air ambulance now have 3 helicopters based at Swansea (south), Caernarfon (North) and Welshpool (Mid Wales) and rely completely on donations - They DO NOT receive any funding from the ambulance trust or NHS. Every mission costs the charity an average of £1000 (fuel, servicing, pilot salary, paramedic salary, rental etc)

It is a service that we wish you will never need, however as a employee of the Welsh Ambulance NHS Trust, it is a resource that we use very often at the scene of a RTA (Road traffic Accident) due to the distance a lot of the better roads in wales are from the nearest hospital.

So far in excess of 150 people have shown an interest in taking part. MCN will also be running a feature closer to the time.

Thank you for your time in reading this post and i hope to see some of you in June.

Gareth Evans (Forgie / GSX1400)
Old 31-01-07, 11:17 PM   #2
Ed

Default Re: Wales Air Ambulance Rideout

Got a map of the route?
Old 01-02-07, 01:06 AM   #3
GSX1400

a map of the route will be included in the pack sent out to you when you register. this way only people who donate to the cause will know the route - or that's the theory anyway.

helimed999@fsmail.net

for more info.
Old 01-02-07, 01:13 AM   #4
Baph

Personally, I'd like to know the route so that I know if it's a ride out I'd like to join. But oh well

I donate to the air-ambulance regularly, and wouldn't see it as a problem giving a fiver + fuel + time, but as I live in North Wales, I'm dubious as to the amount of time I'd be on the ride.

Might as well just give them the fiver & forget about the ride
Old 01-02-07, 09:06 AM   #5
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Well The Hwntus will have to head back south after riding up here, so I was thinking of going down the night before to join the ride up.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 09:20 AM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants
Well The Hwntus will have to head back south after riding up here, so I was thinking of going down the night before to join the ride up.
I've considered the same.

If I do get things sorted with work for time to do it, fancy a ride down together?
Old 01-02-07, 09:31 AM   #7
the white rabbit

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=50575

some interest for you there too
Old 01-02-07, 11:21 AM   #8
GSX1400

OK OK. I'm not one of the organisers I just thought I'd inform as many people as possible about the ride. However, I do appreciate that you need to have a rough idea of the route. My understanding is that the ride will follow this route.

Start at Cardiff - time to be confirmed
A470 to Brecon.
Brecon - Builth Wells
Builth Wells - Llandrindod Wells
Llandrindod Wells - Newtown
Newtown - Machynlleth.
Machynlleth - Mallwyd - Welshpool (via A458 - Excellent road)
Welshpool - Wrexham
Wrexham - Ewloe

Refreshment stop at Llandrindod Wells (mechanic available)
Photographs at Welshpool Airbase subject to the helicopter being on base at that time.
Stop at Demon Tweeks in Wrexham for some more photos
End St Davids Hotel Ewloe.

You are welcome to take part in as much of the ride as you wish but I must stress that ALL participants must register at

helimed999@fsmail.net

The exact route will then be confirmed by the organisers.

Gareth.
Old 01-02-07, 12:13 PM   #9
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants
I've considered the same.

If I do get things sorted with work for time to do it, fancy a ride down together?
Yep sounds good idea. It's in June, so was planning to go down after work on Friday (slink off early maybe) as it will be light until late. Only about 3 hours to Cardiff from here (direct route), so shouldn't need to be a problem. Will need to sort out dog sitters though.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 01:53 PM   #10
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX1400
Refreshment stop at Llandrindod Wells (mechanic available)

Gareth.
WILL HE DO MY 15000 MILE SERVICE