SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 14-03-07, 01:24 AM   #1
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Post your best roads, and best runs

I just found my Big Ride Planning Map, so I've armed myself with some different coloured pens, and I plan on marking in standout bits of roads, and good ways to daisychain them up... So looking for suggestions really, could come in very handy in future. Something like this:

"A999 from X to X" or better still "Edinburgh to Glencoe via X, X and X, best bit is the A whatever from Whotsit to Hingmy." You get the idea.

If you can be bothered, you could say why- twisty, sweeping, good surface, good views, how difficult it is, whether it's an on-it road or a bimbling road...

I'll be doing it on a paper map first of all, and just for Scotland, but if it works out at all well I can make something uploadable.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-07, 07:59 AM   #2
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Default Re: Post your best roads, and best runs

www.bestbikingroads.com

A good start in there.

3 of my toppers are.......

Kinlochleven loop.

The Dukes.

Straiton- Glentrool Forest Park.

Keep it to yerself tho' Northy, gonnae
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-07, 08:02 AM   #3
Cam_73

Best Road......... Newhouse, McNeil Drive

Crap surface no twistiness, nothing, it does lead away from work though

Will keep it in mind, maybe this could be made a sticky?

Cheers
Old 14-03-07, 10:39 AM   #4
Tiger 55

The A82 from Dumbarton to Inverness, 150 miles of lochs and mountains and scenery that makes you proud to be Scottish (regardless of Renton's feelings on that subject), beat that England!

Plus the caravans function as mobile chicanes, making it different every time.

Stop off at the Inverbeg Inn, the Pit Stop Diner (wee diversion), the Drovers Inn, the Green Welly, the Clachaig Inn, Glenbogle (!), the Dalwhinnie distillery (another wee diversion), the Bothy, the Drumnadrochit Hotel (preferably **** wet through) and the Phoenix Inn. And that's just the pubs!

Ooh, I've come over all Braveheart just thinking about it. "Honey, I'm just popping out on the bike for a bit..."
Old 14-03-07, 10:51 AM   #5
stuartyboy

Blairgowrie to braemar - simply stunning. Fast flowing bends for 17 million miles

Dukes pass - what more can I say

Dunkeld to Blairgowrie (and back) - 12 miles of twisty fun

B934 dunning to yetts o' muckart - just discovered it - brand new surface for half of it. 10 miles of twisties. Smoothest twistiest road I've ever ridden on.
Old 14-03-07, 01:12 PM   #6
Duck-man

For a quick blast:

Around the east of edinburgh, out on the A1 off at A198 and basically follow the A198 along the sea front (twisty and the road goes up and down) to aberlady, out the other side and on to and through gullane (i love coming around the sharp right hander on the golf course as it rises up and you get loads of grip then gunning it along the straight through the golf course! )and then onto and through to north berwick (if you fancy you can stop on the sea front next to the bird place and have a cup of tea). Out of North berwick and along the A198 (it runs along the sea cliffs and then follows the fields so straight and then sharp corners and hedge rows get a real feeling of speed!) until it meets the old a1 again turn right back towards edinburgh. When it joins the new a1 (at haddington) take the last exit on the roundabout and go back towards aberlady up over the hill. The road is normally very quite and is twisty between hedges and goes up and up, and then down the other side, turn left and back towards aberlady and home! (well thats sort of the route that i can remeber )i normally go for a spin there after work if i wanna go for a bleeeeeee

Think the route is called the coastal route, its fun for a few spare "just get out in ur bike" hours.

A damn good run is down the A7 to galashiels (long straights with sweeping corners no speed cameras unlike A6 and then right to selkirk and then right again to St Marys loch for lunch. You want twisties that road takes alot of consentration. To get back there is the single track road across the glens and back via a701 (i think thats right? but northy i think you know where i mean)

or

down to kelso on A68 (not too many cameras think there is 3) then off at lauder on the A697, and then off on a6089 (no cameras on this road but last time i went down there i spotted 2 police cars of the speed cop variety!) its a fun fast road with sweeping bends and you can lunch at kelso!

that just to get you started northy thats where i ususally play!
Old 14-03-07, 01:26 PM   #7
on yer bike

I love that A7 run, used to do it ever weekend in the summer when I was working down that way.

on yer bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-07, 06:28 PM   #8
haggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger 55 View Post
The A82 from Dumbarton to Inverness, 150 miles of lochs and mountains and scenery that makes you proud to be Scottish (regardless of Renton's feelings on that subject), beat that England!

Plus the caravans function as mobile chicanes, making it different every time.

Stop off at the Inverbeg Inn, the Pit Stop Diner (wee diversion), the Drovers Inn, the Green Welly, the Clachaig Inn, Glenbogle (!), the Dalwhinnie distillery (another wee diversion), the Bothy, the Drumnadrochit Hotel (preferably **** wet through) and the Phoenix Inn. And that's just the pubs!

Ooh, I've come over all Braveheart just thinking about it. "Honey, I'm just popping out on the bike for a bit..."
A great run that, Tiger. Just need to add the detour left (A87) at Invergarry and double back to Invermorriston on the A887 - a loop i have done over and over on a nice, sticky day. Fantastic wee stretch of initially forestry-lined then open and fast, fully cranked over twisties. Stop at the viewpoint (along with every other tourist), and down the other side where you join the 887, where the pace hots up on the straights. The only downside is you'd miss out the Fort Augustus section, so best head south at Invermorriston and do it all again....

Another good one - A9 heading north of inverness up to wick, much better than the southbound A9. Highlights include Brora ice-cream parlour (yummy), the craaazy Berridale rollercoaster section (treat with respect!) and excellent coastal views all the way. Then it's a trip along the north coast to Tongue (A836), and south again thru Altnaharra, Lairg, Bonar Bridge, and detour over the B9176 to Alness/Evanton and you're back on the A9.
Old 14-03-07, 07:50 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Good good, keep 'em coming
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-07, 09:44 PM   #10
jimmy4237

You guys do realise that posting up the roads simply gives the traffic speed cops invaluable info of where we go to have fun?? Then they set up the speed cameras on the fun sections where we're more than likely to open up..... or am I being paranoid here???