SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-06-07, 10:18 PM   #1
edlover889900

Default Breaking in a new SV650

I just bought a new 2007 SV650 (not the S or ABS). The dealer gave me some conflicting information about how to "break in" my new bike. One guy said that I need to keep the engine speed below ~5,000 RPMs for the first 500 miles, then below 8,000 RPMs for the following 500 miles. But another dealer said that I should "ride the bike as I normally would ... not worrying about any break in period". Does anyone have any opinions or thoughts on breaking in an SV650? What damage could result if I don't follow the suggested break in schedule (e.g., keeping my motor speed low for the first 500 to 1000 miles)? Does revving the engine above 5,000 RPMs really cause damage in the first few months of a bike's life? What specific problems could that cause?
Old 03-06-07, 10:51 PM   #2
Beenz

Default Re: Breaking in a new SV650

Run in by the book, however make sure that you change engine speed regularly. Don't let the engine bog down or coast either, change down a gear and let it pull a tad even if momentarily it revs above the rev cieling. Keep the engine working.

There are several views on running in and your chosen method is your choice. The important thing is that you change the oil and oil filter before or during the 600 mile service. That should drain the swarf and crud in the engine/gearbox.

Have fun. If I recall correctly you can run 70MPH in top initially then up to 95 for the remainder. After that gradually increase the revs over distance.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-07, 02:24 AM   #3
edlover889900

Thanks for the good advice! Much appreciated.
Old 04-06-07, 07:09 AM   #4
MiniMatt

Yeah, recently ran in a K5 that didn't get out much (had done all of 120 miles in two years). Changed the oil/filter myself as soon as I got it home, just to get the two year old sludge out (though it actually looked chip pan fresh). Did my best to keep below 6000 (though that got broken on occasion) up to the 600 mile service, oil & filter changed again. After that it's kinda been anything goes, but just trying to avoid thrashing the nuts off it.
Old 04-06-07, 12:14 PM   #5
G
Mega Poster

I was told by the dealer i bought mine from to stick to the book religously until the first 600 mile service.

After this point it has full fat oil in you can ride it how you want regardless of what the book says.

I'm new to riding so have been taking it fairly easy any honest.
Old 04-06-07, 12:24 PM   #6
muffles

Not an SV but I stuck to the running in schedule, it's in the book. There are plenty of opinions around about how you should do it, and people tend to offer them quite keenly! I stuck to the manufacturer's schedule because at the end of the day they are the ones offering me the warranty, no-one else.
Old 04-06-07, 12:29 PM   #7
Baph

IMO (strictly IMO - from the POV that I've not that long ago broken in my first big bike - my SV)...

Top end revs isn't that important, what counts, as has been mentionned before, is varying engine speed. Use different revs, different loads on the engine etc.

For the first 500 miles, I ran it by the book, never exceeding 5k RPM. God that was a boring week! (Yes, I do that distance every week on the bike.)

I think the recommendation was then for the next 500miles or so, to not go above 8k RPM. I tried to do this on the whole, but there were times I had it bouncing off the rev limiter.

Now 20k miles on, and it's never missed a beat, and doesn't appear to use oil. Of course, another bike may be different even when treated exactly the same as mine.
Old 04-06-07, 01:58 PM   #8
Dicky Ticker

Under warranty-- fully comp insurance--thrash the tits out of it--if its going to blow let Mr SUZUKI fix it--if it doesn't you will have one quick sv650
Old 04-06-07, 02:04 PM   #9
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
Under warranty-- fully comp insurance--thrash the tits out of it--if its going to blow let Mr SUZUKI fix it--if it doesn't you will have one quick sv650
I hope that was posted with sarcasam

After 3 engines they tell you were to go, and you walk there, not ride it.
Old 04-06-07, 02:07 PM   #10
G
Mega Poster

I wouldnt like to chance it myself ha

I know they have started fitting lease cars and company vehicles with little black boxes telling technicians the life of the vehicle. Its only so long until they begin to fit these things to vehicles to void warranties.