SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-07-07, 10:55 PM   #1
veraliar

Default Another day, another lesson

Been riding my SV for a while now. Crashed it a while back shortly after buying it due to an SUV runnin the stop sign; I was ok, SV wasn't. Finally got it fixed a couple months ago and been riding almost daily with no problems. Each ride I take it a little closer to the edge and last week I think I was down right reckless for my skill level. Well, today (though I was riding mildly) I got a few fresh kicks in the ****. Ironically, it is my previous recklessness which consisted of learning new lessons each ride (like downshifting, using front break properly), that resulted in my not crashing today vs. me crashing back in winter.

Back in winter, the SUV ran the stop sign and I grabbed a fistful of front breaks. I saw her before she pulled off the line but she was stopped so I figured I was all right. It happened too quickly for me to push left and flex my breaks well enough not to slam down. Similar thing happened twice today. I didn't learn my lesson till the second time, but for a different reason, hence this thread.

The day started off with me being in a kind of a "you shouldn't ride today" mood. I rarely get these and I remember reading on here how if you do, you better stay off the bike. The bad news: I didn't listen. The good news: getting to the end felt that much more rewarding. So I roll her out, in a t shirt and leather pants because I'm gonna stop by the dry cleaners to pick up my leather jacket - but of course they messed up the tailoring on it and it was delayed. So in a crisp 50 F weather I ride on.

At one point I find myself alongside a state trooper. Still feeling kinda crappy, I barely get off the line and ride at about 40 mph in a zone where I usually push 55 when this bloke pulls out of the left and cuts across the road. 1) it's illegal to cut across this particular segment. 2) I'm not sure if he stopped or not but he sure as hell didn't see me before he pulled out. I grabbed my front breaks and let go of my throttle till about half then touched the rear, pretty much a perfect stop (at least for me), barely missing his back bumper. I saw the trooper behind me stop in the middle of the road for about 3-5 seconds while I kept going as if he were trying to decide whether to pursue that jerk or not. He decided not to do it.. -shrug-

The problem was I didn't learn my lesson, not really anyway. I blamed my skills on the situation, forgetting a whole other part of the equation - the weather and the bike's own limits. You guys talk about this a lot here but when you've been successfully careless on a consistant basis you start to get kinda arrogant so that's what happened to me.

On the way back, I'm feeling much better, it's sunny and I'm in a good mood. I'm actually driving far less recklessly than before, but on a particular stretch of road I kind of drift off into my habits and do something stupid. We're going down a long stretch of road with a stop light on it. The road is leaning right though I wouldn't call it a turn per se. There's a guy in a kia in front of me, we're both pushing 50 mph, and at a distance of about 10-12 cars in front of the light (I suck at estimating distances so it mighta been closer/farther but it was no where close enough for me to stop if I didn't start doing it right there and then), the light turns yellow. Well, I had the same exact situation happen a couple days ago, and the bloke in front of me burned it through, I did the same, hitting the light just as it turned red. I guess in that split second decision I say to myself "do it." And don't touch the breaks.

After about a second of what appears to be the same thing, the Kia guy slams on the breaks. I already see myself flying over the top of his car. Somehow, my subconsciousness took over, I hit the rear breaks, downshifted (actually not sure if that was smart but that's what I remember reading here), and grabbed the front just enough for the front not to lock up. Basically I did the same thing as I did that morning. And something funny happens that I never felt before, my rear wheel (feels like it) is riding alongside my front.. hello!

I turned the bike straight so I was going into the place between the Kia and the car on the left of it (yeah, there was a huge van there). The road only turned slightly so even though I was going straight, I don't think I was gonna hit the van. Not sure how but I did a number of things that I never done before that lead to my stopping next to the bumper of the car in front. I let go of the rear break and I think because I downshifted and haven't fully let go of the throttle or just by luck, I felt my rear wheel catch, then I hit it again, it locked up again, I let go of it, and the next time it caught I managed to stop. After a brief shock, I began to widely grin and breathe. Cursing myself and the Kia dude. He definitely hit the breaks too late for that light, even if I were in a car I woulda been in huge danger... but as I've read here, if you hit the back of someone it really is your fault because you shouldn't be riding so damn close.

My major lesson learned was the weather factor. I did the same exact stuff as I did during the morning, in fact, I think I even hit the rear a little lighter and the front heavier, but it felt like I slid WAY sooner than I should have. During the morning the road was cold, this time it was hot so I shoulda been sticky but I frogot about oil and humidity. Doh. Boston has been suffering from a crappy mix of heat/cold fronts and random showers, high humidity, and lots of sun. That road saw a lot of traffic.. it was basically an ice patch.

Anyway, sorry for this long thread but this was a hell of a day. And a hell of a lesson to learn.. no matter how well you ride.. you don't respect the weather and you won't get respect in return.