SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-07-07, 12:46 AM   #1
vegacr250

Default TRE mod failed on 07

Hey fellas.. i have an 07 SV650 and did the TRE mod. I did it exactly the way i read from 2 different sites (they were very similar). Once i finished and started the bike. The FI came on and display show FI. The temp said F1 and alternated to temp. In the manual it said to take to dealer.. Yeah right. But when i pulled in the clutch the RPM did rise. Seems like it worked but no where did i read the FI light was a by-product of this mod. Have any suggestions. I know that the 07 has 2 spark-plugs per cylinder so does the TRE mod not work on 07 and newer?

Thanks Vega
Old 03-07-07, 08:50 AM   #2
SV650Racer

Default Re: TRE mod failed on 07

Its a waste of time anyway.

Firstly you arent removing the retard (which is very minimal anyway). You are bypassing it by making the bike run in the top gear fueling and ignition map. Top gear doesnt have the retard.

So your bike will be fueling and igniting like it should for 6th..but you will be using this in the rest of the gear positions too!. Basically top gear runs richer than the rest. Hence why the idle goes up.

Basically by doing this you are undoing what Suzuki have spent years doing by getting the fueling to adjust to what gear you are in etc.

Your better off taking it off..getting a can and getting it mapped for the bike.
Old 03-07-07, 09:02 AM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegacr250 View Post
Hey fellas.. i have an 07 SV650 and did the TRE mod. I did it exactly the way i read from 2 different sites (they were very similar). Once i finished and started the bike. The FI came on and display show FI. The temp said F1 and alternated to temp. In the manual it said to take to dealer.. Yeah right. But when i pulled in the clutch the RPM did rise. Seems like it worked but no where did i read the FI light was a by-product of this mod. Have any suggestions. I know that the 07 has 2 spark-plugs per cylinder so does the TRE mod not work on 07 and newer?

Thanks Vega
I am assuming you are in the US Vega.

Twin Spark and ABS are NOT standard (or available I believe) here in the UK.

Not telling you to go away, but any mods like this are essentially for a different engine.

With the twin spark I am assuming the fuelling would be a little different to allow for the more efficient sparking.

I have heard different from what SV650Racer says, but she does know her stuff and just how much of the TRE Mod improvement is in the riders head......

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 09:12 AM   #4
SV650Racer

Twin spark head is standard here in the UK on the K7 models.
Old 03-07-07, 09:20 AM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650Racer View Post
Twin spark head is standard here in the UK on the K7 models.
Thanks for that - hadn't heard anyone mention it, or seen any big fuss made over it.

does it make any real difference to the bike?

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 09:34 AM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
does it make any real difference to the bike?
It'll make spark plugs more expensive.
Old 03-07-07, 11:49 AM   #7
AlanB

Yeah, just about twice as much.
Old 03-07-07, 12:25 PM   #8
vegacr250

yeah i am from the us. well i was already planning to remap the bike. so i guess it is a waste. i did find anything that said that remapping the bike would do something similar or i would have not even tried it. best part is i hacked it back together because i torn one of the pins. so i probably won’t have a warranty on the bike. yay. i going to do more research n find the out if the TRE mod on 07 n newer. but as of right now it looks that it does not work.
Old 03-07-07, 01:18 PM   #9
2mths

I did the TRE mod because I misunderstood what it did. I sometimes get a hiccup at about ~9k when on full throttle and it's blummin annoying. I thought the TRE mod would fix that.

Having read round this a bit better now and found that:
a) it's effect is apparently at low revs
b) generally doesn't sound all that clever
I'm going to back the change out at some point. It did prove a useful exercise in learning how to get the tank off though.
Old 03-07-07, 02:29 PM   #10
SV650Racer

as 2mths says the TRE is often done when people think it will cure an already existing problem. Although most of the time the problem, like a hiccup at 9k could simply be cured by getting the throttle bodies balanced and the TPS adjusted.